Objects in second hand lens

Name
Barry
Edit My Images
No
HI,

I have bought a Nikon Lens and I have concerns over it. Could I ask for help and assistance please?

If I look from the front of the lens backwards, I can see dust, but also about 15-20 small black objects. I know they are being magnified many times.

Are the black objects normal?
What test should I do? I am worried its something wearing inside the machine.
Is there any easy way to clean?

I have check the lens operates smoothly, and has no marks or wear on the outside.

Many thanks for your time
Barry

Don't like the sound of the black objects, could be oil spots or less likely fungus ... presumably not sold as new. :)

Sold as excellent condition and believe the seller did not know.

The shapes are all different. The more I look at it I think its dirt /dust

Are they easy and cheap to have cleaned?

Unfortunately not really. How much was the lens? What model?

My local camera technician tells me not to worry about dust in lenses as it has no effect on Image Quality.

If these spots are having no impact on your photos simply ignore them and enjoy the lens.

My local camera technician tells me not to worry about dust in lenses as it has no effect on Image Quality.

If these spots are having no impact on your photos simply ignore them and enjoy the lens.

Dust is one thing but if this is oil being flicked out or even worse fungus then it isn't going to get better and it will be too late to send it back!

Dust is one thing but if this is oil being flicked out or even worse fungus then it isn't going to get better and it will be too late to send it back!

I fully agree which is why I asked if this impacting on IQ. OP states above the more he looks the more he thinks it is dust.

Its a Nikon 55-200 VR. Cheapo £75 len

Whats the best way to test if it effects the images at all?

I wouldn't worry, had my tamron 150-600 covered with neoprene and dust cover for the zoom extending part since new but still got a very small bit of grass or the like stuck to the inside of the front glass.
Doesn't show on an image at all, a friend has a leica scope (2nd hand) where the front glass is very marked,by what we don't know but the image quality is still excellent, I found that very surprising, so experience tells me as long as the image is fine, don't worry.
If it's sensor spots in a body,it can be cleaned but they're only really apparent against the likes of the sky and easily removed pp.

Its a Nikon 55-200 VR. Cheapo £75 len

Whats the best way to test if it effects the images at all?
Forget about it or send it back. The choice is yours, but the cost of repair will be more than the value of the lens.

Last edited:

By all means keep it but remember if/when you come to sell it your buyer may not be as forgiving as you :)

Been playing all day and am happy with the results from the lens. Can see anything wrong so am happy to keep it

Thanks everyone

Back