Critique OCF and Processing.

Name
Kev
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

Earlier in the month I was asked to take some photo's at a friends work party. I had my shoot through umbrella and my triggers and was asked to take some portrait type shots. Before taking these the only portrait type shots I had done were of my kids at home which were okay (nothing like what other have posted).

So, one of the example is this one, straight out of the camera:

Before by SEP9001, on Flickr

and this is what I have finished with:

After by SEP9001, on Flickr

I have used LR5 and have just recently bought the Nik Collection so use that as well.

What could i have done better to photograph/improve this image or have I processed the image too much.

Thank you for all your help.

Regards

SEP

Bringing the 'model' away from the wall would have prevented the shadow :)

I agree a point I need to add to things I check and do before taking the pic.

Thank you

Hi There. Yes the shadow would have gone (so a good point raised) but for me it adds to the photo after all it is very soft. It depends what look you want to achieve.
For me the image sooc is better than the post proccessed one you have posted. I am sorry if that sounds harsh as it is not intended to be but there is no other way to say it.

Gaz

I think it's ok to shoot that close to a wall sometimes, the shadow is nice and soft. But the PP in the 2nd one? Why?

She's a lovely girl, the lighting and pose are ok. A 1 minute process would have cleaned it up just enough. Why do people get so carried away.

Oops, cross posted with Gaz.

Last edited:
In my opinion, the PP is over the top. You appear to have added a lot of saturation. I completely agree with Phil, the crucial parts/the hard parts of the image seem to be fine, just need to tweak the PP, with a more 'gentle' approach.

Thank you all for the useful comments. Points taken on board.

are those the models own cheek bones or a result of pp they seem saggy and very pointed imho they look more like a bodybuilders pecks to me
not being smart but just saying what i see

LOL no pp on the cheeks apart from skin softening.

I think she's a pretty girl and just lifting the exposure a bit and maybe up the saturation a tad would have sufficed.
Looks like you've done a fair bit of skin smoothing and brightened her eyes quite a bit but she looks a bit fake and unnatural.
Give it another bash but tone it down a little and i reckon it'll be a lovely pic.

I think she's a pretty girl and just lifting the exposure a bit and maybe up the saturation a tad would have sufficed.
Looks like you've done a fair bit of skin smoothing and brightened her eyes quite a bit but she looks a bit fake and unnatural.
Give it another bash but tone it down a little and i reckon it'll be a lovely pic.

Thanks, will definitely do that. Is the crop okay?

I'd leave the top of her head in.

Thanks, will have another go tomorrow.

Thank you all for the help and suggestions.

I agree with the others about the pp.

If your going to crop try having her leaning into the photo rather than out, it might work it might be naff :) try it and see.

Thank you all for the comments and suggestions, had another go, this time only used LR and the result is as below:

After_Edit by SEP9001, on Flickr

Anything I can improve on this one or leave it as it is?

Thank you

Kev

Dade,

Thank you. Does look a lot better then my effort. Did you use PS or LR?

Kev

Shadows add depth and dimensionality to an image and I don't think the shadow on the wall is an issue here.

The processing as said isn't very flattering. But it is a lovely shot and well lit :)

Rob,

Thank you. Any suggestions as to what PP can be done to the image to improve it using LR5.

Ahh, thanks. Don't have ps.

Thanks for your edit.

Back