Octabox Recommendations

Edit My Images
No
Looking for a good quality and reasonably priced octabox. The plan is to use it on location for portraits, maybe at weddings if needed and at home for some newborn shots.

Needs to be quick to assemble and I plan on probably using it with a new AD200 flash or maybe the Godox 600 unit.

Suggestions?

Last edited:
What size and what do you mean by 'reasonably priced'?

The Phot R products are cheap, Bessel a bit more and Lencarta more still, I believe there's a step up in quality through there too though. But you can spend more still on premium brands.

For portability, (carry out on a job) my choice is a 'brolly box', cheap to the point of disposable, and easier to carry than one of the genuine Octas.

I have one of these 80cm Octas for using outdoors, £34 inc delivery https://www.amazon.co.uk/31-5-Inch-...017W57TAY/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8 I would say for the money they are great, good thick material and very sturdy, pay the extra £10 and get the grid too, I doubt if you will get anything better for this price.

I have this too and seems to suit my needs. 80CM isn't massive though and I'll buy a larger one at some point. Pops up like an umbrella then you just teach the diffusion panel with velcro. I leave the inner diffusion always attached to save time. It's nice and light too. And grids are available for under a tenner.

I have a bessell, lencarta and elinchrom rotalux. There's a bit of quality difference in that order but for outdoor use I wouldn't be too concerned. Likely to fall over a few times etc with wind so they will all do a job. I personally don't think there's that much difference in quality that warrants the big brands if it's occasional use. Also think 80cm is optimal for outdoor use as larger is going to cause you some fun on a less than perfect day.

Reactions: TG.
I have Bessel and Phot-R and I think the Phot-R is better quality, that's what I would go for again anyway, as regards size I think 80cm is fine for outside, however if you have an array of assistants as they seem to have on many of the YouTube video's that advertise these thing's, lol, then size isn't an issue :)

Back