Octagonal softbox

Name
Ron
Edit My Images
No
:)Hi all ,I have been looking at few octagonal softboxes on ebay has anyone tried them or have you any advise.

Cheers Ron

Don't do what my mate did, and buy one that was FAR too heavy for his lighting stands.

It was basically only usable if we perched it with two tripods underneath!

A lot of the ebay sellers don't list the weight, so its certainly worth checking first if you can as they can be deceptive.

hey! I bought an elinchrom style giant 213cm octabox from an eBay seller not too long ago (believe the store name was Elite Suppliez), he still trades and is the only seller to offer this particular size. Yes, they are heavy, but I used mine on my COR750 stand with an interfit stellar head, works well, doesn't seem to be unstable, and really helpful in all lighting conditions. It was a bargain at under 200quid, if you ask me, as Elinchrom (obviously much better) sells theirs for around 600quid. Have bought other sizes of octaboxes from him, a 140cm one and I think a 90cm, all very nice quality, really, I didn't expect them to be so good. Also Smick Trading over on eBay does them for a real bargain (smallish ones though) a 95cm octabox w/ speedring for 27quid- wow! Also they've got loads of other sizes, too.
For the weight issue, like I said, they all worked well with my COR750 Interfit stand, which is the 'base' model, and not super heavy duty or anything, but if you're worried about it, just get a stronger one, maybe even with castors for easy moving about, since they are heavy ;)!
It lights the setup really well, better than any other accessory, as it provides a really smooth layer of fill light, and really not harsh at all, wrapes nicely around the subject, I've known photographers to use nothing but a large octabox and maybe just a reflector. Great piece of kit! xxxxx

Back