Odd flash syncing idea..

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
No
I've got an idea for a series of images which would require the flash to fire exactly in the middle of a 2-3 second exposure, neither first nor second curtain.

How would you do that? Just pop the flash by hand at the appropriate moment? Investigate in an expensive trigger system e.g. Miops? Or something else?

Pop it by hand, with longer than 2-3 seconds and a sufficiently dark environment it's perfectly possible to walk around and fire the flash several times

Pop it by hand, with longer than 2-3 seconds and a sufficiently dark environment it's perfectly possible to walk around and fire the flash several times

Thanks. Sorry, I should have said - there will be a significant amount of ambient light, the exposure can't really be much longer and the timing of the pop is important. I suspect that having an assistant to pop the flash might be simplest.

how exact does timing need to be, if not to critical I'd just take trigger off camera body and use test button to trigger if needs to be super accurate then I'd guess miops or similar would be needed

Not sure exactly - it's going to be an acrobat in motion. I want motion blur either side of the flash pop.

The more I think about it the more I think that triggering by hand may be easier than setting up an infra red trigger; there's going to be an aesthetic as well as technical element to the timing of the flash.

Right, sorry for the noise, I could have worked all that out for myself. Sometimes it just takes writing something down to make it clear...

Some of the triggers used for delays (for example to fire a flash after the water drop passes a sensor, then waits milliseconds before firing the flash) would work.
I have a Stopshot somewhere that I think would work, will look it out later if home early enough, you could have a play with it if you want.

Here is the link, email them as to what you want to do and they will reply with a solution. https://www.cognisys-inc.com/products/stopshot/stopshot.php

Last edited:
Some of the triggers used for delays (for example to fire a flash after the water drop passes a sensor, then waits milliseconds before firing the flash) would work.
I have a Stopshot somewhere that I think would work, will look it out later if home early enough, you could have a play with it if you want.

Here is the link, email them as to what you want to do and they will reply with a solution. https://www.cognisys-inc.com/products/stopshot/stopshot.php

David, thank you for that - it's very helpful and a generous offer.

Back