Beginner odd Lens

Name
Antony
Edit My Images
Yes
I've won what I consider an odd lens on Evilbay to be honest I don't even remember bidding on it but the Images are below. Anyway 2 questions, 1st does anyone know what mount it is and 2nd any one got any idea what I should use it for (any answers such as for photography shall be treated with disdain :p )

The reason I say it's odd is because according to the listing its 2mm-30mm lens?

2.jpg 5555.jpg s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
A better shot of all the writing round the inside of the front element will tell all
Its a Sears f2.8 lens the focal lenght with be written possibly a 135mm it is multicaoted and has an auto aperture

Last edited:
I'm assuming the seller read the distance scale (in Metres) rather than the focal length, hence the 2-30M(m) reference? Although, the focal distance is 2.5-30m but it's the nearest I can suggest!

Last edited:
I'll let you all know when it turns up but if it is a 135mm It'll probably be returned as I was hoping it was a typo and it was 12-30mm (yeah I know I was hoping lol)

I'd bet on it being a 135, I had one very similar, a Carl Zeiss Jena 135mm f/3.5, they can make for a very nice portrait lens.

I'd bet on it being a 135, I had one very similar, a Carl Zeiss Jena 135mm f/3.5, they can make for a very nice portrait lens.
That's a good bet

definitely cant be a zoom lens as, there isnt a zoom ring
It's not a zoom IMO but many old zoom lens were pysh/pull and do not have zoom ring.

It's not a zoom as the hyperfocal scale is at fixed points, not curved lines as would be on a zoom lens.

And yes it appears to be a breechlock FD lens.

who buys something and does not know what it is !!!!! :banghead::banghead::banghead:
must be wind up

who buys something and does not know what it is !!!!! :banghead::banghead::banghead:
must be wind up

It's not a wind up, I brought it because at the time I didn't have a 24mm lens. I saw that thought great its able to do 24mm its cheap (I'm a cheapskate) it seems a perfect fit. so won the auction as it only had 5 minutes to go and then started researching it only to discover that I cvouldn't find anything called a 2mm-30mm lens (I've only been into photography a for about 8 weeks now) so thought I'd ask when it eventually turns up I'll let everyone know what it is.

Last edited:
It definitely looks like Canon FD mount to me - which strangely is a bit of a problem if you're wanting to use it with modern Canon cameras...

if you're hoping to use it on a modern canon dslr, the fd > ef adaptors come in 2 flavours... one is cheap and won't let the lens focus to infinity, and the other is more expensive, has a lens in it to make the mounted fd lens focus to infinity, but actually acts like a 1.2X converter, you lose something like half a stop of light, and the lens is effectively a 160mm (ish)...

And apparently the LensDoctor can convert FDn to Eos fitment

Okay its arrived its a 135mm lens and its being returned instantly I was willing to try it out as a 135mm lens but the aperture blades aren't moving at all so I've requested a full refund... Also mount wise it WAS an FD mount

Ringwise There's an aperture ring which turns but the aperture blades aren't opening or closing then there's another which has the numbers 22 to 56 then a red line then 56 to 22 which when it turns the entire front of the lens moves in and out

Okay its arrived its a 135mm lens and its being returned instantly I was willing to try it out as a 135mm lens but the aperture blades aren't moving at all so I've requested a full refund... Also mount wise it WAS an FD mount

Ringwise There's an aperture ring which turns but the aperture blades aren't opening or closing then there's another which has the numbers 22 to 56 then a red line then 56 to 22 which when it turns the entire front of the lens moves in and out

I don't have any FD lenses but if it's like OM lenses the original body (or an adaptor) would have a pin built in that will enable auto-aperture so you would focus at the widest aperture (2.8) and then the camera body would stop it down to the aperture you choose when taking the shot. Try manually moving the sliding the rings on the rear of the lens (holding them in place) then change the aperture and see if it stops down.

The other ring with 22-5.6 is the depth of field scale. As you focus the lens, the aperture you choose determines to total depth of field (how much of the image is in focus). In your image above, for example, the lens is focussed to 15m, from that you can read that at F11 everything between 10m and 30m (approximately) will be in focus. If you open up the aperture to 5.6 then only everything just over and just under 15m will be in focus.

By the sounds of it, the lens is fine.

I don't have any FD lenses but if it's like OM lenses the original body (or an adaptor) would have a pin built in that will enable auto-aperture so you would focus at the widest aperture (2.8) and then the camera body would stop it down to the aperture you choose when taking the shot. Try manually moving the sliding the rings on the rear of the lens (holding them in place) then change the aperture and see if it stops down.

The other ring with 22-5.6 is the depth of field scale. As you focus the lens, the aperture you choose determines to total depth of field (how much of the image is in focus). In your image above, for example, the lens is focussed to 15m, from that you can read that at F11 everything between 10m and 30m (approximately) will be in focus. If you open up the aperture to 5.6 then only everything just over and just under 15m will be in focus.

By the sounds of it, the lens is fine.

No there's definitely something wrong with it I tried the lens using an adapter I had and the aperture just isn't working every pictures washed out as the aperture is stuck fully open.

Last edited:
Back