Odd shaped tree with a veiw

Nice shots! Really like both of them, I prefer no.2 though as I think the first blends in with BG a bit to much :)

Now that really is an interesting tree and a lovely landscape around it too.

The first is definitely the strongest for me in terms of composition and the overall colour tones of the image - I agree with Lewis though, the tree (particularly the horizontal piece) is starting to disappear into the background a bit.
If you'd got a slightly lower, upward looking angle so that piece was outlined against the sky that would have been a cracker IMO.

The other potential I'm seeing here is in the shape of the tree reminding me of half a picture frame.
I wonder if there's an angle there where you could make use of that and get something square on with the shape framing the landscape?

Shot 2 is pretty boring light... just too "normal" to stand as an image alone. As part of a set on a theme of weird tree shapes etc, it would be a valid contribution, but as a single image it's pretty thin.

The first shot is far more interesting. Great colour palette, and the lower contrast lighting has mutes all the colours nicely, and allowed immense detail in the foliage. I'd have taken from a lower vantage point though in order to get the horizontal part of the tree to be against the sky to prevent it getting "lost" in the similar colour foliage though.

I like the compositions, but IMO you've pushed the processing too far.

Haloing is apparent on both, and some severe colour fringing on the outer edges of both trees.

The images themselves are sound, PP just needs another run at.

I like the compositions, but IMO you've pushed the processing too far.

Haloing is apparent on both, and some severe colour fringing on the outer edges of both trees.

The images themselves are sound, PP just needs another run at.

I would agree with this

I love the tree and the view... well found! :)

In picture 1, I would have tries to separate the tree from the hillside some more, perhaps by getting lower... Also, i would have used a narrower DOF to isolate the tree even more still... not too shallow, maybe 5.6-8? I guess for me the subject is the tree! :)

The second is great composition, I think it is a bit over-processed!

Great images, lovely spot, well taken! :) Remember, just because I might do things differently, does not mean I am right and you are wrong. It is just my opinion! :)

Thanks so much for the great comments and tips they have all been taken onboard thanks.

I have to admit I might have gone over the top in lightroom first try with version 5 and I went a little mad with the dodge and burn tools.

All comments taken onboard and I will act on them next time I am out I may also try and get back up to this spot in the future and try some other ideas mentioned thanks again great help.

Oh,, just noticed.... in the first image, it looks like you have dust spots on your sensor (top right corner). You might want to get that cleaned! ;)

Back