Off-camara Godox TTL V860 Nikon 3500

Name
Delinete Rocha
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi there,

I have just got a Godox TTL V860 for Nikon.

I use a Nikon 3500 to take pictures of the food I make. And I would like to be able to use this flash off camara.

However, the camara does not trigger the flash, set to i-TTL mode.

Do I need any extra equipment? And how do I set this flash to work off camara?

Many thanks

Deli

Thanks DinkyDarwin!

This equipment looks quite professional.

Do you know of any other option that would be simple, cheaper and still work well with one flash?

Best,
Deli

Yep - sadly, even though the V860 does understand the old Nikon AWL optical flash system, the D3500 pop-up will not operate as a commander (which is just Nikon being mean tbh, it has the flash, and meter after all). Kenneth is right - you need one of these:-

(which is absolutely compatible with your V860 flash, and all the other modern Godox lights like the AD100, AD200, AD300, AD400, AD600, AD1200 and Godox studio heads).

The only cheaper option (apart from the old X1-T trigger) is an SC-28 TTL flash cable - but even the 3rd party copies are not that much cheaper tbh:-

Last edited:
You NEED to use the flash off-camera, there's no choice - your food will look like I cooked it if you have the flash on camera:) And although in theory a flash cable will work for this type of photography you'll curse it if you ever want to use the flash for photographing people, or end up using more than one flash at a time. A good flash trigger just works, perfectly, every time.

You ask whether you're going to need any extra equipment - well yes, but until we know exactly what you're doing in terms of your subject, the quality standard needed and how much time you're prepared to put into the learning process it's hard to advise. But you'll certainly need some kind of light stand to mount the flash on, and you'll need a 5-in-one reflector too, such as this one https://www.lencarta.com/life-of-photo-56cm-5-in-1-reflector which can be used to add shadow as well as various kinds of reflected light.

Thanks DinkyDarwin!

This equipment looks quite professional.

Do you know of any other option that would be simple, cheaper and still work well with one flash?

Best,
Deli
I’ve seen some people cooking on telly; it looks fun! But they use those big expensive stoves, couldn’t I just do it with a Bunsen burner?

seriously; as above, if you want to produce good photos of your food, you’ll need to understand it’s all about the size and position of your light source. You’ve already got about 75% of the gear you need, just add a transmitter, softbox and stand and you’re good to go.

Thank you Scooter, Garry Edward and Phil V!
I will go for the flash suggested;)
And I have got the softbox, light support and stand, diffuser and reflectors. I am glad to know that, for now, I will just need one more thing uff...
Best,
Deli

Last edited:
In this situation I would probably just use the pop-up to trigger the flash optically (S1) in manual. If necessary, set the pop-up flash to a -3 FEC and deflect it to the ceiling.
That said, a proper wireless trigger is a lot nicer/better; and for the cost of the Godox units it's almost silly to not get one.

Back