Off Camera Flash For Olympus TG4

Edit My Images
Yes
I recently go an Olympus TG-4 to give cave photography a go however after my first trip I has became clear I need an off camera flash. What trigger is compatible with this camera and preferably I would like to avoid needing a tripod as I don't want to lug this up pitches and trough crawls.

Thanks for the help.

If you’re happy with manual flash, any dumb triggers and cheap manual speedlight will do.

For TTL, it looks like there might be a Godox X1t variant for Olympus, but I’m struggling for confirmation.

Edit, indeed there is an O variant, and an O version of the 685 flash. You’re in a winner.

Edit 2:
Ignore all this, I’ve just twigged you don’t have a hotshoe- see below for the answer.

Last edited:
I recently go an Olympus TG-4 to give cave photography a go however after my first trip I has became clear I need an off camera flash. What trigger is compatible with this camera and preferably I would like to avoid needing a tripod as I don't want to lug this up pitches and trough crawls.

Thanks for the help.
Caver?

The traditional method for cavers with compact cameras without a hot-shoe is to cover the flash on the camera with a piece of fully exposed film negative - i.e. the leader piece of an old 35mm negative and use an exteral IR trigger to fire the flash. The firefly http://www.fireflyelectronics.co.uk/pages/info.htm is what a lot of cavers use. Flash guns such as Yongnous have built in IR triggers and I can trigger one from my TG3 using the technique I just described. The disadvantage of just using a flash gun on its own this way is that they are not as sensitive as the Firefly and you tend to need the front of the flash pointing more towards the camera – which is OK because you really need more than one flash. Because the firefly is a separate unit you can point it at the camera independent of the flash.

I find a small light tripod is very handy and if you start to get serious with this you are going to end up carrying a lot of gear – Chunky over on UKCaving takes around 15kg of gear I believe to get the remarkable shots that he achieves.

Last edited:
Caver?

The traditional method for cavers with compact cameras without a hot-shoe is to cover the flash on the camera with a piece of fully exposed film negative - i.e. the leader piece of an old 35mm negative and use an exteral IR trigger to fire the flash. The firefly http://www.fireflyelectronics.co.uk/pages/info.htm is what a lot of cavers use. Flash guns such as Yongnous have built in IR triggers and I can trigger one from my TG3 using the technique I just described. The disadvantage of just using a flash gun on its own this way is that they are not as sensitive as the Firefly and you tend to need the front of the flash pointing more towards the camera – which is OK because you really need more than one flash. Because the firefly is a separate unit you can point it at the camera independent of the flash.

I find a small light tripod is very handy and if you start to get serious with this you are going to end up carrying a lot of gear – Chunky over on UKCaving takes around 15kg of gear I believe to get the remarkable shots that he achieves.

With that camera (has no hot-shoe?) this may be your only option. You'd need to check. Or something along those lines, basically using the built-in flash to trigger a remote gun via optical slave. Yongnuo 560 would be suitable, and it has an S2 optical slave mode that you may need.

Last edited:
Back