Off camera flash set up help

Name
Craig
Edit My Images
Yes
So then all you flashers. What would I need for a simple off camera flash set up to get started with some portrait photography at home? I have a Canon 6D and would like a TTL flash so that I can use it on camera if need be and help me learn, but mainly would like to be able to use it off camera at home and possibly addd further flashes in the future, so if the kit I get now will serve me for the future too that would be good.

I've done a bit of reading but would appreciate it if there is anything I may have missed or things that aren't compatible. Also, Yongnuo, Godox, another brand? Are the brands compatible with each other?

I think I need the following:

Flash - thinking Yongnuo YN565EX II as it has TTL and is reasonably priced.
Trigger - YN622c? There is a version with a lcd screen (TX) which presumably means I can control the flash(s) from camera which would be useful if I end up with more in the future?
Receiver - This just holds the flash unit and receives the signal? YN622c?
Lightstand - do these come with adapters/fittings for the flash or receiver? Cheap recommendations?
Soft box - again, not sure what to go for? I'm sure this depends on what look and where I will be using it which at the moment I'm not sure, is there something fairly versatile?

Anything else?

Budget, I'll see what I want to spend when I know what I may need, but won't be buying Canon speed lights, the cheaper I can do it the better.

Thanks chaps!

Just got the Yongnuo and really like it, I use my on-board flash turned down to minimum to fire it,and it works well.

I'd recommend what i went with off cource and that is Godox, the TT685 or the V860II and the X1 trigger. From there you have almost endless posibilities. Yongnuo makes fine speedlights but that's really it. If you want more power or barebulb flash for use with big modifiers youre looking at one more system with another trigger maybe receivers and possible trying to make the two work together. With Godox you have everything from the small compact speedlight to big studio strobes controlled by the same trigger.
Receivers are built in in most new Godox flashes though there are models without.
Light stands usually comes without the brackets though you may find some with it
I find the S bracket sold by many brands incl Godox the best, it is somewhat bulk though.
The manfrotto Nano, 1051 and 1052 stands are pretty light weight and well built.
Softboxes: my first was/is a 60cm, I would get a 90cm instead if I should do it over. GET ONE WITH GRID otherwise a deep reflective umbrella with a diffusor panel will do the same

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info. Would you recommend getting a flash with TTL for a beginner? I'm only basing my decisions on what I've read as I've never had any experience with flash. I can get a YN560 and a TX trigger for about £90 which is quite appealing.

Yes get TTL for a beginner. The calculations or trial and error required for on camera flash would be a nightmare.

Full featured flash first, then add to that kit.

Thanks Phil. Thinking a bit harder about what I will be using it for, it's very unlikely that I'll be using the flash 'on-the-move' or on the camera and much more likely to be set up at home off-camera for some portraiture initially with the time to practice and learn. The trial and error with photography I do find quite enjoyable to be honest, many hours were spent when I got my first camera just testing settings etc. But, I do appreciate that flash could be a whole lot more challenging. Would TTL still be better for this?

What @soeren says above about Godox being more compatible if I want to expand to fixed lights in future seems most sensible. Which of the X1 triggers would I need to go with either the TT680 or TT600, as there seems to be a few different versions?

Could anyone advise if the following is suitable/compatible?

Speedlight will be either the TT680 or TT600.
Trigger: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01GRII...lid=3KT17S3D7BN1I&coliid=I2FZBY34B2GIT6&psc=1
Softbox and bracket: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Godox-Univ...&qid=1506586552&sr=8-5&keywords=godox+softbox

Can I get a grid for the softbox separately?

Most of the reviews on amazon say that the cheap lightstands are flimsy when extended (shocker!) Is it possible to get something more sturdy without spending a huge amount more?

Thanks for the help :)

Great thanks for that, I'll get the grid too, also found the flashes bundled together with triggers on amazon which is handy. I meant the TT685 by the way, not sure whether to go for a manual flash or TTL still.

Thanks for the help.

As Phil said go for the TTL for starters, it's still nice to have and a lot nicer to have and not need than need and not have :)

Great thanks for that, I'll get the grid too, also found the flashes bundled together with triggers on amazon which is handy. I meant the TT685 by the way, not sure whether to go for a manual flash or TTL still.

Thanks for the help.
BTW just because it's TTL enabled doesnt mean you can't use it in manual 95% of the time. :)

Phil is right but I went the Godox TT580 full manual route and learnt a lot more about flash this way.
I have a pair of Godox TT580 that I may sell

Back