Beginner Off camera flash

Name
David
Edit My Images
No
i have just received a Panasonic fz200 for Christmas and would like to take some indoor photographs of flowers. At present I do not have a flash only the pop up one on the camera. I have learn't that if I purchase a Olympus FL-36 speed light it will work TTL on my camera. What I would like to know is if I purchase a FL-36 will it work off camera if I use Yongnuo RF-603C 11 wireless flash trigger transceivers on both camera and the FL-36. Any advice appreciated. ~ Bottlebrush

If you want off camera flash, you can buy the rf603s and a cheap manual flash, the 603s won't give you ETTL even if the flash could.

Thanks for that Phil V. I mention the Olympus FL-36 because if I purchase this I can use it on my fz200 with the benefit of TTL. Basically all I wanted to know is will the FL-36 work with Yongnuo transiviers one fitted to the FL-36 and one fitted to the fz200. ~ Dave

Thanks for that Phil V. I mention the Olympus FL-36 because if I purchase this I can use it on my fz200 with the benefit of TTL. Basically all I wanted to know is will the FL-36 work with Yongnuo transiviers one fitted to the FL-36 and one fitted to the fz200. ~ Dave
Apologies for the brevity in my original post.

Yes it'd work with the simple triggers, but it'd be manual only, so if you were only buying the flash to use off camera, you could save some cash. However if using on camera too, it's your best bet.

Thank you for your helpful answer to my question Phil V. I will proceed to purchase a FL-36. ~ Dave

Here is a useful video on this very subject.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWMsHyrYryk

The Olympus FL36 will operate on the camera in TTL mode, it will also work using an Olympus or a Canon flash trigger lead as the pin spacing is the same. It is worth considering getting the Olympus 36R, which will operate as an optically controlled TTL remote flash with a camera that supports commander mode. The FZ 200 does not have this capability but any future camera might do so. Currently, all Olympus current bodies do, even the Pens. The Lumix FZ 1000, G6, G7 and GH3 do as well. It;s likely that the GX7 and GX8 also support this mode and any future higher level Lumix bridge cameras.

FYI
I have the Oympus FL36R and over a year ago I did some brief tests with my GX7 and the remote commander stuff did appear to work....

Back