Off-Camera High-Speed Flash Sync

Name
Sam
Edit My Images
No
Hi All,

I'm trying to find a way of achieving high-speed flash sync, off camera, and without buying super-expensive pocket wizards.

I know I can achieve high-speed sync by fitting the flash onto the camera hot shoe, so my question is: Can I use a PC or TTl sync cord an get the same response from the flash, i.e, will the flash work as if its in the camera hot-shoe?

I've been scouring internet resources on high-speed flash sync, but can't find out whether its possible using a corded means!

I use a 1DX and 580 EXii for those interested.

Any help/guidance on this would be great.

A ttl cable is invisible to the camera, so that should work.

But so does the Yongnuo YN622c trigger system, check compatibility with the camera as it was released after the triggers.

Hi, Not sure if this can be done with Canon gear as I'm not too familiar with it, but it certainly can with Nikon and the correct dedicated lead. I expect it'll not be too long before someone who uses Canon answers it more fully for you.

Hope this helps.

Thank you Phil, that trigger system is far more reasonable priced! And thanks George, if its works with Nikon they're must be a similar solution for Canon.

Most of the main players have kit that works on HSS - Certainly the YN 622s are the cheapest and unusualy - you actually get more than you pay for. Others are Photix Odins, Pocket Wizards, Radio Poppers, Pixel Kings and there are probably otherd.

The YN622 is an excellent trigger though and for the price can't be beat.

Hi, Not sure if this can be done with Canon gear as I'm not too familiar with it, but it certainly can with Nikon and the correct dedicated lead. I expect it'll not be too long before someone who uses Canon answers it more fully for you.

Hope this helps.
He did;)

Awesome thanks for all your help guys, looks like I'll be getting a set of YN 622s.

I'm surprised that HSS can't be achieved off-camera via a wired means, I would have thought that came before radio triggers!

Thanks again,

Sam

Awesome thanks for all your help guys
I'm surprised that HSS can't be achieved off-camera via a wired means, I would have thought that came before radio triggers!

Thanks again,

Sam
It can
Right there in the first response

Sorry Phil, I overlooked that again.

I bought a set of YN 622s this afternoon, but I might get a TTl cable as a handy back up.

Last edited:
Sorry Phil, I overlooked that again.

I bought a set of YN 622s this afternoon, but I might get a TTl cable as a handy back up.
The longer ETTL cables are a bit expensive compared to triggers, but I keep a couple as backup.

Back