Beginner Off camera Speedlight problems.

Edit My Images
No
I am new to off camera Speedlight photography. I am using a Sekonic light meter with a Nikon d7000 with neewer flash trigger and a sigma EF- 610 DG ST flash. My problem is that when the flash is set to manual I only occasionally get a properly exposed picture, 9 times out of 10 it is as if the flash didn't fire, but it did. I have tried different synch speeds but it's still the same. If I change it to ttl then the pictures are better exposed though the flash and triggers are inexpensive so as far as I know aren't able to carry the ttl info. Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong?
The flash only has three settings ttl,manual h and manual l, I've tried all of them

Its not necessarily your sync speed that is the cause but more likely the flash power in relation to the chosen aperture and ISO that is causing the issue.

Do you have any EXIF data for the shots where the flash fire but didnt expose correctly?

Thanks for the replies, I've just tried it on camera with the same settings and it appears to be working fine.
I do have the Exif data and it appears to be the same for both correct and incorrect exposures, what should I be looking for .

It has to be the triggers then.

First get a decent exposure - with aperture, shutter, iso and flash power all in manual, with the flash on camera and a shutter speed of 1/60, using first curtain sync.

Then get the flash off camera but with identical settings.
Does it fail every time? Most of the time? Not at all?

If it works every time try cranking up the sync speed. It should be ok up to 1/125; lesser triggers sometimes struggle above this regardless of what the camera can manage.

If it's intermittent then check your contacts & batteries.

Back