off roading

Glen

Uncle Glen
Name
Glen
Edit My Images
Yes
Went with my brother in law on a Landrover Experience drive on Friday. For anyone who hasn't done a 4x4 day or something, I thoroughly recommend it. It only lasted a few hours 'cause we got it as a freebie, but it was brill, we went out on the road for the first part in a new Discovery 3, then on to the quarry.

The car is fully loaded with electronics monitoring the wheels, ride height, dif lock etc..but when I came to the first down hill part its so weird (not having driven in a 4x4 or down a stupidly steep hill) the guy tells you to flip in into hill mode, flick another switch to do something else, put it into 1st gear (auto box) then take your feet OFF the pedels....:eek: you just can't resist the natural instinct to want to slam your brakes on, but you can't or you'll slide down with no control. Very clever technology takes over and dabs the ABS and brakes and you just canter down the hill like it doesn't exist. Absolutely wicked.

I did take my camera with the full intention of grabbing some pics but it totally chucked it down all the time we were there...so no pics:shake:

Sounds like a fantastic day, although I think I'd be happier spectating than actually being behind the wheel as I'm a bit of a wuss when it comes to things like that :LOL:

I came to the first down hill part its so weird (not having driven in a 4x4 or down a stupidly steep hill) the guy tells you to flip in into hill mode, flick another switch to do something else, put it into 1st gear (auto box) then take your feet OFF the pedels....:eek: you just can't resist the natural instinct to want to slam your brakes on, but you can't or you'll slide down with no control. Very clever technology takes over and dabs the ABS and brakes and you just canter down the hill like it doesn't exist. Absolutely wicked.
Very scary isn't it. We got treated to a freebie using the freelanders, exactly the same operation.

Scary? With all that technology?

You should try it in an old land rover with a crash box :)

Yeah, I did one in an old series three a few years back. Great fun but you must remember to keep your thumbs out as the steering wheel can whack them pretty hard!

None of that stuff in the modern machines I am sure!

Back