London Off to London soon.

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All.
I'm new here, but have been reading a few threads. Feel like I'm at the right forum....helpful and friendly.
So I am taking myself to London at the end of this month. Purely for photography. I am a novice, so it's a learning trip.

Been into photography for a good few years. Own a Nikon D800.

Have always wanted just to spend a good few days wandering around London with my camera, and I'm finally getting to do this soon.

I'm not that familiar with the location, but can follow the map. Just wondered if anyone can get me ideas of what would be best places to photograph?

Anyone else done this trip to London, that can give me any tips? The type of photography is varied so open to all suggestions. Suppose this will be mostly landscapes, and buildings. What lenses would you take with you? I have a few, but rather you told me which you'd take.

I haven't really found my genre has yet. Since still learning, I'm not always happy with the final results. So it's practice, practice, practice.

Thanks for your time.

Paul

If it architecture City of London will give you old and new. Leadenhall Market, Gerkin, Cheesegrater, Lloyds Building, Walkie Talkie and the Sky Garden if you can get a ticket. Guidhall, St Paul's, Southwark Cathedral, Brough Market. The Shard. Tower Bridge, Tower of London.

Southbank for Millenium Bridge, Shakespeare's Globe, Tate Morden, Oxo Tower, National Theatre, London Eye, Big Ben & House of Parliament.

Fleet St, for Temple Church, Royal Courts of Justice and Lincoln Inn Fields.

A wide angle and 35mm are what I use in and around London.

Thank You George, that is most helpful. Seeing your profile username too, you are clearly talking from experience.
Yes it will mainly be architecture shots, but I am open to suggestions to try other tips too.
I have been lucky to get a sky garden ticket. Was planning on taking my 14-24 2.8, and 50mm 1.4 up in there. It's a learning curve, and I'm not local to London.
So I do appreciate the voice of experience. I'm very grateful. Thanks

Hi, Thanks for thread link. I had actually read that the other day. Some very good info there.
Never thought about taking up a 70-300...I do have one, so will consider.
Currently looking for a lens belt and pouches. I have a bag, but bit heavy, so will see if I can shrink down to help with travelling around.
Then I may get the chance to take up more lens options for the sky garden.
Regards

Thank You George, that is most helpful. Seeing your profile username too, you are clearly talking from experience.
Yes it will mainly be architecture shots, but I am open to suggestions to try other tips too.
I have been lucky to get a sky garden ticket. Was planning on taking my 14-24 2.8, and 50mm 1.4 up in there. It's a learning curve, and I'm not local to London.
So I do appreciate the voice of experience. I'm very grateful. Thanks

I live 20 minutes out of central London so shoot there most weekends, if you need any other ideas give me a shout and I'll try to help out :)

Thank you George. Will keep your kind offer in mind. I am going alone.
Should I be concerned about the security of walking around with my kit at night (and maybe day)? I did want to attempt so night shots, but being that I'm going alone...and a stranger. I wouldn't know what locations to be wary of? I know there is good and bad in all locations. Would you say generally most areas are ok to wander aimlessly around?

Thanks. Paul

Should I be concerned about the security of walking around with my kit at night (and maybe day)? I did want to attempt so night shots, but being that I'm going alone...and a stranger. I wouldn't know what locations to be wary of? I know there is good and bad in all locations. Would you say generally most areas are ok to wander aimlessly around?

Thanks. Paul

Hi Paul, Having lived there for 10 years, I can say that if you stay in central London, you should have very little to worry about, even at night.I once spent a night from midnight to 8am wandering from Tower bridge up to the houses of parliament on both the North and South banks of the Thames, and never felt threatened once. Obviously like anywhere, be aware of your surroundings, and you should have no problems. Have fun.

Ok, thanks Rob. Good to hear. I know it's always the minority that throws up doubt. I'm sure all should be fine. I'm staying there for 4 days at Wembley. Thanks. Paul

I used to work in London, used to walk around Covent Garden, Soho, Bloomsbury and although you need to watch for pickpockets in a busy Covent Garden (keep your wallet safe) there really isn't a reason to worry. Go to Lincolns Inn and Grays Inn if you get the chance, too. Go to the British Museum in Bloomsbury. Foster's Great Court is stunning.

Thank you George. Will keep your kind offer in mind. I am going alone.

Thanks. Paul

Like Rob said not much to worry about, central London is most times of the day and nighttime isn't much different especially weekends. Security guards around places with be the biggest problem, they can get a bit arsey when they see tripods set up and will always be asking questions about what you're up to.

You need to know that some area although the public could use the areas there are privately owned and can stop you form taking images, although most of the time it is OK.

This is a little conversation I had that other day :) http://flaneur-with-a-camera.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/are-you-professional-photographer.html

Thank you. Most grateful of all help.
Yes I have been stopped before taking photo's when I was near an airport taking photos of the planes landing/taking off. Their cctv spotted me.
The Police arrived, and asked what I was doing. They then saw my camera, and said, oh I see you are taking photos. He said you shouldn't be here taking photos, (I was on a public road).
Needless to say, I was polite, and of course I understood they were called out to check me out. I explained I was only going to be another 10 mins, and then I'll be gone. They accepted and drove off.

We live in a new age now, so I will expect questions.

Thanks Carol for the extra locations. I have noted ALL suggestions on a notepad. Much appreciated.

I have walked London a lot but the past few months I've been showing a couple of American friends around, the bits they live to take photos of are all easy walk from Tower Bridge tube station.
1. St Paul's
2. Tower of London from north side of river
3. Walk over Tower Bridge there are some lovely shots to be had especially at night.

Camden market is good but at a week end crazy busy.

I also noticed a company offering photo walks of the graffiti around Brick Lane area.

A walk along the south bank from Tower Bridge to Westminster (maybe in the morning, with the light behind you), or the other way round (maybe in the late afternoon) will cover many of the locations mentioned, and you can cross one of the bridges to get to some of the others. The route along the north bank is a bit more broken up and often less lively. Don't miss Tate Modern's striking interiors and the new viewing platform on the 10th floor of the Switch House extension (free access). There's an enormous amount to see and snap in the British Museum and all three of the major South Kensington museums. If you get sick of city buildings, take the tube to Kew Gardens.

The parks around London are pretty nice to walk around too which I don't think have been mentioned yet - Hyde Park, Regents park (was there today), Richmond Park, Holland Park etc.

Last year, my camera club had a day out, dropped off near Covent Garden, (in the rain... )Had a fabulous day wandering around, and in addition to the areas mentioned above, some of us walked over to the south bank skate park and got some great shots of the boarders. This year its Camden Market area... has anyone got any recommended points of interest?

Camden Lock with its pretty Victorian bridge and the river buses is an obvious one. The graffiti around that area and across the road by the Hawley Arms, if you're into that kind of thing. The market itself used to be a working horse hospital and there are lots of statues and other old bits and pieces to keep an eye out for. Hundreds of colourful craft stalls, dozens of colourful food stalls, and the antiques market right in the centre. There's also a small photographic gallery whose name I forget, and a small group of people who've set up their own Old Time Photos shop inside the market. There's enough there to keep you going for at least an afternoon. Nearby Camden High Street is a colourful area and some of the shops are worth pointing a camera at.

Then you could head along the lock and the Union Canal down towards Regents Park for photos of colourful canal barges, more graffiti, and the only Chinese floating restaurant this side of... well, the next one, wherever that is.

I was there a few weeks ago and thoroughly enjoyed the experience, and I hope you do too.

Back