Off to Slimbridge for the first time

Edit My Images
Yes
As well as my first proper sporting event this weekend, I'm also going to Slimbridge for the first time, and was hoping I could get some tips.

I'll be going with a friend who'll be taking his 500mm and using his 1.4x TC with it, but I shall be hopefully borrowing his 400mm occasionally and also his 2x TC to use with my 70-200 2.8 IS.

So .... where do I start? What should I be looking for? I've never really taken wild bird shots before, so can people offer any advice at all?

You need to head for the Holden hide on the way you will pass a hide this has large windows ideal for larger lenses, it is as far as I know the only hide with these larger windows although they have said they are refitting all the hides with them.

There is so much to see and do just around the manin building, but go further afield and you should be well rewarded, plenty of togs gather in the cafe, so maybe ask them or tag along.

I go most weeks as I live local and you really just have to ask and look while your there (y)

I would cautiously advise against over-using the 2x converter. Whilst the image quality from your new 70-200 will be in excess of your previous lens, the 2x does cause some degradation. Grab his 1.4x before he knows what's happening and concentrate on that.

In a nutshell...only use the 2x when you've got no other options.

Bob

I would cautiously advise against over-using the 2x converter. Whilst the image quality from your new 70-200 will be in excess of your previous lens, the 2x does cause some degradation. Grab his 1.4x before he knows what's happening and concentrate on that.

In a nutshell...only use the 2x when you've got no other options.

Not sure I do have any other options. He is (justifiably) very possessive of his 500mm and says that the 1.4x TC very rarely leaves it, leaving me with little choice!

Thanks for the advice on hides .... my friend, with whom I'm going, knows Slimbridge fairly well, so he will guide me a bit, but I'm just after all the suggestions/advice I can get in case it helps! :)

I started to see the Kingfisher regularly from March last year, you need the Death hide for that more commonly known as the Kingfisher hide, you'll see the burrows in the bank opposite and from thet hide you can get very close to garden bird feeders, HTH :)

I think you'll have a great day. Have a look at this link
http://www.wwt.org.uk/centre/122/slimbridge.html
There's a good link of 'wildlife sightings' on the left, which will give you some idea of what you could see.

Wouldn't mind a trip there myself sometime :)

Bummer - looks like the swans have gone! Been meaning to go up myself this winter and catch them :( Ah well - maybe next Winter!!

It's a great day out, and very good with a cam too! I suspect 200/300mm will be long enough - and if you've a 1.4tc all the better!

Don't forget to buy plenty of bags of feed - they can really help with the opportunities!!

Have a great day! :D

Matt

Slimbridge is a nice place. I saw Andy Rouse there when I went last year.

I started to see the Kingfisher regularly from March last year, you need the Death hide for that more commonly known as the Kingfisher hide, you'll see the burrows in the bank opposite and from thet hide you can get very close to garden bird feeders, HTH :)

I was there 2 weeks ago. If you look over the fence behind the hide and to the right as you walk towards it, you should see a great spotted woodpecker there.

Back