Off to the British F1 with my 70-200, should I take my 250 as well?

Name
Jarod
Edit My Images
Yes
Am off to Silverstone this weekend armed with my 7d and 70-200L F4.

I went last year (was in the GrandStands {mostly Copse} and had my 450d and 70-200L F4 lens).

Obviously the closer I can get to the cars the better so I don't lose image quality when cropping later.

I have limited bag space as I have a Lowepro 350 and need to pack my clothes, toiletries and camera gear.

Do you think it is worth taking the 55-250mm lens to give me a little extra reach?
I would still like to take the L lens for the quality factor but is it a worthwhile endevour to take 2 zoom lenses at similar focal lengths or is that slight focal length advantage too slight to matter?

I will be there in the grandstands (can't remember which one on the Sunday) for Sat and Sun and will do some sightseeing around that part of the country on Mon and Tues so will be taking photos of the countryside.

I may leave my 17-55 IS lens at home this time though (with my angry rottweiler and Samoan mate if you were thinking about helping yourself to it! :) ) if I do take the 55-250mm as well as the 70-200mm.

Probably should have hired a 100-400mm IS but have left it too late now.

Personally I probably wouldn't bother. I don't think the difference is enough really and I reckon the 200 will cover what you need it to. If the second lens was a 300 or 400 then it might be worth it.

I wouldn't bother either for the sake of 200mm to 250mm. You've got an 18 megapixel camera and a 70-200mm L, just crop the images if they're not as tight as you want them to be.

i would leave the 250 at home and hire a 1.7 or x2 converter

Silverstone can be a nightmare

A 2x would loose autofocus though, and no 1.7 for Canon. The 1.4x is the only converter that will retain autofocus unless using a third party non reporting job.

Still - converter is a good suggestion!

Hi

Have a great time over the weekend.

I'd just take the 70-200 with you, if you can get / buy / borrow / hire a 1.4TC then it's definately worth taking

Thanks for the advice guys. Think I will leave the 50-250mm at home like you suggest.
There are no 1.4 or 2x TC's available to hire for the weekend at Lenses for Hire and anyway, I read that the focal length would become 98-280mm with the 1.4, so would probably just take the 55-250mm if that were the case.
Should have been more proactive and hired the 100-400 earlier!
Might take my 17-55mm for general landscape shots on the Mon and Tues etc.

Back