Official Canon 40d thread.

Edit My Images
No
~Official Canon 40d thread~

I noticed when researching and before getting the 40D that there isn't a 40D thread on this forum, which from the way people talk about the camera, is surprising! So, I thought I would create one.
Here we can discuss all things 40D, for the purpose of educating new people to the camera (like myself) and also to maybe show people who are interested in getting the camera, what qualities it has.
I would also suggest that if you have taken some new shots with your 40D, you post a link here for people to have a look or attach the photos to your post.. :)

Here is one of my first shots with the 40D ;)

Yellow by GTInspired, on Flickr​

I will start discussions by asking what sort of kit everyone has with their 40D?
At the moment, I only have the 18-55 glass, but I'm hoping to get the 55-250 Mk II soon, as it seems very well praised here..

Last edited:
Hi,

I've currently got a 20D and a 40D.

My daily lens is the Canon 24-70L F2.8

My favoured outdoor portrait lens is the Canon 100mm f2.8 macro.

Lighting setup
- 430ex
- a few yn460-2
- elinchrom lights
- lastolite backdrop
- rf602s

In terms of comparison between the 20D and the 40D. the 40D
- fits my hand better
- the larger screen is a pleasure to work with
- has about a stop better 'acceptable' ISO
- has sensor cleaning which works well.
- has equally easy to use controls.
- similar image quality

I only shoot in manual or aperture priority modes so being able to adjust settings quickly - preferably without taking my eye from the viewfinder - is essential. I do not have time to faff around through menus and on screen displays and repetitive single button presses to alter a minor setting.

So for the most part its damn fine.

Improvements that I would wish for in my next camera (in no specific order)...
- full frame.
- a larger & clearer viewfinder.
- dual memory card slots for peace of mind
- better ISO
- Better low light AF
- AF that works on more places than just the centre point.
- AF microadjust ( as I spent about £180 getting lenses and 20D calibrated for a back focus issue)

However, since the above costs in the order of £5k I'm quite happy with a second hand £400 40D that I bought last year with about 300 actuations on it.

Other than canons 1dx there is nothing else in canons range that tempts me with the features I want. But thats a heck of a price!

Its worth noting that the 5d2 would be a downgrade from the 40D in terms of shutter synch speed when doing my studio work. Its low light AF when I tried it out is not as good as I'd like either so is therefore not an option.

Unfortunately that raises the question of brand loyalty as Nikons features on paper seem to tick my boxes more. Once I see the 5d3 and d800 offerings and had a play around with them I'll be in a better place to make my decision.

But to sum up, for the money, the 40D is one hell of a good camera!
Be sure to match it with good gLass for best results.

Last edited:
Had my 40D for over a year now and Love it very much.
It's a very ergonomic camera and fit's well in my hands!

The only thing it lacks for me is video , as most of my work is now in nightclub's and most club's are demanding of video for promotions online and on their big tele's around the club!

Had two of them, all positive apart from two faults

Well known shutter problem, can fail at anytime due to crud getting between the two contact plates and the DC-DC Board (basically a fuse) which can go without warning for no good reason.

Both faults entail costly repairs and probably getting to the point where either bin it or have a go yourself if you are ok with a screwdriver and reassembling things

An excellent camera nonetheless and still well worth buying for the prices they sell for

Last edited:
Wahey, my first "published" photo !!!

Superb camera, enjoy !

Pete

I will start discussions by asking what sort of kit everyone has with their 40D?
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Too much kit.. but 90%+ of the time I'm using the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 with my 40D. A great street/GP combination.

Good feedback, all! I think this thread will really help people to decide if they are looking, and based on my research, and the fact I myself looked for about a week for a 40D, I know that quite a few people are buying/selling them on here and on eBay.
Feel free to come back and post any photos you might have, or anymore feedback! All welcome! :)

My 40d had to have the shutter replaced after 25k ish shots, I got it repaired and it has probably done another 25k by now!.

I now use a 50d more often than not, but for some shots i still prefer the look of the 40d so it still sees regular service.

This one was taken with a 24-105 on the front and is one of my favourite pictures of our youngest!

MG_7387.jpg

Do you know if getting the shutter replaced at 25k shots is common? Because for me, that would be a big worry.. I can fire out 500-1k shots a day on family events?
And what a nice shot! Thanks for sharing! :)

Last edited:
I had over 75k actuations on my 40D probably lol

Best crop camera canon have made so far.

This is going to be a good thread for me I think. I have a500d bought from new, I didn't go down 2nd hand because I didn't know much. I know now how good it could have been, this would have been the dslr I would have gone for.

I still think after nearly a year and a half I would like one because I love the feel of them, played with a 20 and 30d since and loved them. Would it be a down grade going from my 500d though? Would I/am I better with what I have? Maybe I'm being silly think of changing already.:wacky:

I still maintain the 40D is one of Canon's high points.

We've all become a bit brainwashed with ISO performance over the last few years but in good light and providing it meets your AF requirements I think the 40D is the best DSLR for your money available.

I hear people say 'in good light' it performs well, I like and want to get into night photography. Light painting, star trails and long exposures, would this not be suitable even though iso's been used would be 800 or less I assume?

I have a 40d and think its a great camera, i upgraded to a 7d at christmas mainly for the FPS rate than anything else, but i wouldn't dream of getting rid of it, Matthew heres a light trail taken with my 40D

_MG_0004 by jalizcazan, on Flickr

and here is a piccie i took of a mates band, they're a sisters of mercy tribute, so very dark and lots of smoke with iso up at 1600, yes its a bit noisy, but for the subject i think its acceptable

_MG_0108 by jalizcazan, on Flickr

Approx 67,000 shots on one of mine before the DC-DC Board packed up

I hear people say 'in good light' it performs well, I like and want to get into night photography. Light painting, star trails and long exposures, would this not be suitable even though iso's been used would be 800 or less I assume?

It doesn't perform well at high ISO levels (it's good to 400, poor at 800, bad at 1600), certainly not compared to the cameras that followed it (although for the time it was resleased it wasn't bad).

For long exposures at low ISO it is a very good camera.

I'd say that, "in good light", is more likely to refer to the cheap glass that often gets put in front of the 40D. The 17-85IS lens that shipped with the 40D as the kit lens is definitely a Marmite lens. I personally don't rate it, except for use as a studio lens when using flash lighting. Throw enough light at the subject and that lens does good. Probably the only reason I can't quite justify selling it and putting the proceeds towards a Sigma 85mm f/1.4.

It was due to all the good things said about the 40D that when I got the offer of a SH one recently that I jumped at the chance and I have not been disappointed,I thought my move from the 400D to the 30D was a jump in quality both of images and handling but the 40D is in a different league.
I have already had major improvements in my footy shots and to be honest the fact that it is "only" 10 megapixels does not really bother me as I am unlikely to be printing much above 20x16 and I already have a pin sharp result from the 400D at that size so the 40D will be fine,in fact my friend who I bought it off says there are times when she wishes she still had the 40D rather than her new 7D

The shots were all at ISO 1000 and the high ISO performance is something else I am delighted with

6782677991_cbfa29134e_z.jpg

6782681003_a5e852c51c_z.jpg

6782683777_9f63d14bd9_z.jpg

the later cameras that canon released may have less noise but thats more to do with more aggressive NR which also = less detail.

I used my 40D for concerts and night clubs and was perfectly usable at ISO 1600

So - now we have discussed what kits we use.. What lens do we all think works best with the 40D & why?

So - now we have discussed what kits we use.. What lens do we all think works best with the 40D & why?

I very rarely use anything other than the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 for everyday/walkabout purposes. Lens choices are very personal though and depend more on your interests than your body. I think my perfect line-up would be:
  • 40D
  • 10-20mm
  • 30mm
  • 85mm
.. almost there.. just got to convert lenses not on that list into the one I'm missing.

How does this camera stand up in todays market? if I get one will I be hankering for a newer model in six months? I am fairly new to photography and upgrading from a sony a290 so doubt I would outgrow the controls but more the performance if anything.

I can get one second hand for £270 with slight signs of use and can phone the seller to find out actuation's.

Lenses I would be looking getting with it are the Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 DC OS HSM, the Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 Macro DG and a canon 50mm f.18.
Is this a good starting lineup for this camera and has anyone got any different lens recommendations, total budge for lenses is around £300.

How does this camera stand up in todays market? if I get one will I be hankering for a newer model in six months? I am fairly new to photography and upgrading from a sony a290 so doubt I would outgrow the controls but more the performance if anything.

I can get one second hand for £270 with slight signs of use and can phone the seller to find out actuation's.

Lenses I would be looking getting with it are the Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 DC OS HSM, the Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 Macro DG and a canon 50mm f.18.
Is this a good starting lineup for this camera and has anyone got any different lens recommendations, total budge for lenses is around £300.

I have owned one for some time, and think its a cracking camera for the price they are going at now, and think you will love it.

As for lenses, as usual it all depends what you want to shoot, but with the lens you listed you have a good range there. I havent personally used any of the lenses you listed except the 50mm which is a great lens for the money.

But going back to the 40d, i honestly dont think you will be dissapointed.

Cheers

Pete

I honestly dont think you will be dissapointed

I'd second that, still a cracking camera? You may want to consider a Tamron 17-50 as well, they can be picked up for good money now (y)

Bit of a thread revival ;)

I've been using my Step dad's reserve set up for a while now, but it's finally mine :) (He's bought a 7D so his 60D is now his reserve..)

Firstly I Had a problem with continual shooting, only doing about 6/7 shots then slowing down, where i'd seen a youtube review of it just going on and on. Thinking it was the card I bought a high speed one, but still the same problem.. I've just reinstalled Firmware 1.1.1 and that issue seems to be sorted.

The only problem I have now is pairing with my Samsung Galaxy Tab2 10.1..
While my Step Dad was away I needed to a caera for work, so i headed to my local shop and rented a 40D. This 40D connected to my Tab straight away and I was able to use DSLR Controller and DSLR Gallery with no problems at all.

Now I've tried doing the same with my 40D and it just will not pair, or even recognise a camera is connected.

Could there be "early/recent" model differences..? Both are running 1.1.1

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Back