Official TP Single Malt Whisky Thread...

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
There appears to be a lack of alcohol related threads on here, who else is partial to a single malt? Personally my "everyday" tipple has to be a Talisker or a Laphroig but I also have a few more expensive tastes for those big nights, quite partial to an Octomore when the bar has it in!

Picked up a 1L bottle of Talisker Dark Storm at Edinburgh Airport last week which I'm looking forward to opening!

Anyone else a big fan of whisky?

Oh yes, actually sat here with a glass of The glenrothes select reserve.

Talisker is lovely.
I have about two thirds remaining in a bottle if Lagavulin 16 year old that I have a glass of occasionally... I can highly recommend that.

Whisky doesn't like me any more sadly but I 'did' like a Highland Park from Orkney. Never really got into the hot peaty West coast malts.

Very partial to a wee dram now and again ;)

I do like the Islay malts, but as a more regular tipple I don't look any further than a Macallan.

Other than that I like a Highland Park as has been mentioned, but my absolute favourite is Caol Ila when a bar has it!

Highland Park is my go-to dram, but I also usually have a bottle of something else on the go for variety.
At the moment it's a Chivas Regal 18 yo (a blend, so outside the scope of this thread!)

I've got a Talisker 10yo, Aberfeldy 12, and a Laphroaig QC in at the moment. Really into the smoky peaty vibe.
Also saving up to add an Ardbeg Corryvreckan to the library as I've heard good things.
I've read great reports on both the Caol Ila and Lagavulin 16YO, which I'd certainly like to investigate.

Has anyone done any whisky bottle photography? Something i'd like to have a go at.

I like the irish whiskeys, Bushmills do a really nice single malt, Midleton old pot, Dalwhinnie for the scottish..

Bushmills single malt is also my favourite, although, I have been trying some of the Aldi special edition Scotch whisky, which are also very good and at £17.99 a bottle an excellent buy.

I am currently working my way through a few bottles, 10yr old Aarbelour, Talisker Storm, Loch Lomand, Durachs Own, and my favourite tipple JD.

JD - JD!

We're talking whiskey here not that muck, although if you like bourbon try Four Roses

. Highland Park is currently cheap at my local Tesco, or it would be if there was any on the shelf!!!! (n)
Popped back in at lunchtime when passing and there were a couple of bottles on the shelf. £10 off and now selling at £23 a bottle, but I was a gentleman and only bought one!

Yeah it has to be whiskey, Jameson Redbreast 12yo :)

Last edited:
I have a few that I like.
Jura origin,Balvennie double wood, dalmore 1990, Glenn Moray.
My favourite is monkey shoulder, which is a blend of 3 malts.

Last edited:
Many from Islay are some of my favourites. but Ardbeg Uigeadail is really good.

I had a taste of two year old spirit from the Kilchoman distillery about 6 years ago, I'd love to know what it is like now as it was pretty decent then.

Dave

Another one for Balvennie Double wood.

Also Dalwhinnie - went to Tesco today, not a normal supermarket trip as not too local, to get a few items. As I was passing the whisky section I noticed Dalwhinnie and the sign "clearance £17.50, down from £35". There were two on the shelf, but there were none when I left!!!

Bushmills is also a good one for me, as is Highland Park and a few others. However, I am not a heavy peat man. I regard some as tasting like TCP. I do have a mild peaty Ardmore at the moment and it's going down well.

Not a huge fan of the peaty , smoky ones from the West coast but do occasionally have them. . Glenfiddich 10 year old is my whisky of choice though most Speyside whiskies are good.

Just found out that the Spirit of Speyside whisky festival is on from 28 April to 2 May if you happen to be in the area. Seems to be a wide variety of events involving the stuff as well. (y)
https://www.spiritofspeyside.com/

I've a couple of bottles of Glenfiddich 10yr in my booze cupboard at present - lovely stuff :)

Highland Park is my go-to dram, but I also usually have a bottle of something else on the go for variety.
At the moment it's a Chivas Regal 18 yo (a blend, so outside the scope of this thread!)
Just finished a bottle of Chivas Regal 18 yr old, not all in one night of course, very nice it was too. There are a couple of blended whiskeys I feel can hold their own with some of the malts, BNJ being another, but unfortunately its no longer available.

Shopping in Morrisons today and they had a couple of malts on offer, I nearly treated myself to Talisker Skye Malt for £25, anyone tried it?

I have tried quite a few but go back to Oban 14yr most.

Quite a few years ago I went to the Isle of Wight for new year and ended up in a pub called The white Mouse Inn, we got on with the then landlord who had to share some of his pre war Whisky's oh my were they good. He had hundreds of fine malts. One of the best NYE ever

a couple of my friends collect whisky, they make me drink the stuff, some of the bottles are expensive, some of them really expensive and some of them id have to sell a kidney to afford...all of them taste like s***e...vile stuff

Just finished a bottle of Chivas Regal 18 yr old, not all in one night of course, very nice it was too. There are a couple of blended whiskeys I feel can hold their own with some of the malts, BNJ being another, but unfortunately its no longer available.
A surprisingly good one is Lidl's Queen Margot blend. Only £13 or so, but scored a gold in blind tasting at the World Spirit Awards.

a couple of my friends collect whisky, they make me drink the stuff, some of the bottles are expensive, some of them really expensive and some of them id have to sell a kidney to afford...all of them taste like s***e...vile stuff
Yah big Jessie :D

First and best whisky I tasted came from an unlabelled bottle when visiting an old teacher of my husband when we were on our honeymoon. He lived in a little village on Skye .

That whisky was simply wonderful and it got me hooked :)

Highland whisky is my preference, although working my way through of bottle of Yamazaki at the moment :) not sure if I should open the saké next or a bottle of Penderyn.

Many years ago, I had the pleasure of being invited along to the Single Cask Whisky club in London (near to Fleet Street), by a work colleague.
It was a sublime experience, comparing the peaty notes of the Laphroig type malts with the other malts which exhibit almost citric notes.
Whisky is almost as complex as wine - but generally speaking a lot more expensive.

Whisky is almost as complex as wine - but generally speaking a lot more expensive.

To be fair though, you might drink an expensive wine at one sitting or over a couple of days, but whisky won't go off once opened so you can take your time and enjoy it occasionally. Maybe! :whistle:

Back