weekly Offline's film 52 - now up to Week 3

Edit My Images
Yes
In common with a number of other film users, I am going to try a 52 using large format.

I inherited a 4x5 about 20 years ago, and needed an incentive to use it, so a 52 seemed like a great chance. I have no idea how accurate the shutter is or how sharp the lens is, so I will be using this 52 as a way of exploring what this camera is capable of and counting how many cock ups I can make per week. I am not intending to shoot to a theme at the moment.

Hopefully I will get better as time goes on and my skill develops and I learn to handle the equipment.

Here is shot 1 f22 for 4 seconds, camera mounted on a chair as I did not have the right sized thread to attach it to a tripod!

6697555057_1fec96d6d7_b.jpg

Last edited:
Great start, got to love LF :D

Mart

In common with a number of other film users, I am going to try a 52 using large format.

I inherited a 4x5 about 20 years ago, and needed an incentive to use it, so a 52 seemed like a great chance. I have no idea how accurate the shutter is or how sharp the lens is, so I will be using this 52 as a way of exploring what this camera is capable of and counting how many cock ups I can make per week. I am not intending to shoot to a theme at the moment.

Hopefully I will get better as time goes on and my skill develops and I learn to handle the equipment.

[/IMG]

Well done at taking the plunge at having a go with the 52.
That shot is a good start .....
As for how many cock ups.....perhaps that could be another competition as Alastair had
forgotten to set the mirror-up switch on his week 2 shot and I opened the darkslide whilst leaving the shutter wide open on my first attempt of my week 2......All part of the fun ( or should that read"frustration"! lol)
Is that an unopened box of chocs (ferrero rochers?) in the bottom of the shot??.....;they wouldn't stay unopened in our hosehold for long! llol
Already looking forward to your next attempt....

Good start an good luck sounds like you have your work cut out!

Hopefully, it'll be more fun than work!

Well done at taking the plunge at having a go with the 52.
That shot is a good start .....
As for how many cock ups.....perhaps that could be another competition as Alastair had
forgotten to set the mirror-up switch on his week 2 shot and I opened the darkslide whilst leaving the shutter wide open on my first attempt of my week 2......All part of the fun ( or should that read"frustration"! lol)
Is that an unopened box of chocs (ferrero rochers?) in the bottom of the shot??.....;they wouldn't stay unopened in our hosehold for long! llol
Already looking forward to your next attempt....

SNAP! first attempt at week two leaving the shutter open when opening the darkslide? Check! I left it late in the week, and only have two single sided film holders, so I'm hoping there's something I can use on the other one.

Interestingly, that box of Ferrero Rocher is still unopened - I don't know how that has happened! :shrug:

I'm still managing to shoot at least 1 4x5 a week, but I've not been keeping up with devving an scanning too well (but never planned too)... This is the last shot I took before my tripod adapter arrived (the thread on my camera isn't the same as modern tripods), and this one had enough light to test the shutter speed accuracy (week 1 was held open with a shutter release cord for 4 seconds). This was one of the built in shutter speeds - 1/25. Exposure doesn't seem too bad, a pentax SLR was used to meter for f stop - somewhere around f5.

6751592151_2db1ab51f7_b.jpg

Properly tripod mounted (after spending 10 minutes in the shed making a washer out of MDF and foam to reduce wobble) and remarkably free of dust - I seem to have misplaced my film-dust blower. My bike, a regular test subject. Hopefully as the challenge progresses, I'll get more adventurous with my shots.

Only having two film holders will probably limit me taking this camera on long treks - especially as a tripod is more or less mandatory.

6751589665_29085f5fca_b.jpg

So which is your bike....week 2 or week 3 ?? :D :D :D
Nice DOF in week 2 ...the open door into the house almost gives a sense that an excited toddler is going to come running out tpo play on his tricycle.
Looks like a very frosty lawn in week 3 .....not ideal for cycling though :(
There'll be no stopping you now that you have your tripod sorted! :LOL:

Really like week 2, nice perspective and DOF :) Good to see another filmie doing a 52 :)

Love number 2, looks like it was shot in 1958 :LOL:

Back