OFT Report on Petrol/Diesel Prices

I still don't think the difference would be because some of the fuel came from a supermarket..... after all, it all comes from the same place ;)

well we'll agree to disagree after all I've seen the regular results, as have others both on here and elsewhere.

pepi1967 said:
Only have to pay duty on anything over 2500 litres.

Can I make biodiesel and what is the Excise Duty on this?
If you produce 2,500 litres or more biofuels a year, or use 2,500 litres or more of biofuels as motor fuel on which duty has not been paid you must notify HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) of your intention to produce biodiesel.

Does that apply to commercial use or just private

DorsetDude said:
If you commuted 30 miles a day and allowing for weekends and holidays, thats equivalent to nearly a £1500 (1380) pay rise a year. I'd certainly take that.
(Based on my fag packet calculations roughly, assuming 40mpg and 1.40 a litre)

I don't think you can claim claim for fuel for commuting between home and work in a company car

Some years ago a friends company got a visit, can't remember what the figure was but if you did over so many business miles you paid less tax

They deducted the distance from his house to work x 5 x 47 and he was under so they sent him a tax bill for the last 6 years, it was a few grand

it depends - my employers say (and have checked with HMRC) that you can use a company vehicle for company use and commuting if its essential to have the car at home and at work (ie you take it home because you frequently need to go somewhere dirrectly from home or because you are on call, you take it to the office because you need to go out from there) without attracting a taxable benefit

Well, I fill up my car, and I give my Director the receipt. He gives me the cash for the gas and then uses the reciept for his expenses. This has worked for over 4 years now. and believe me it works for me!

it depends - my employers say (and have checked with HMRC) that you can use a company vehicle for company use and commuting if its essential to have the car at home and at work (ie you take it home because you frequently need to go somewhere dirrectly from home or because you are on call, you take it to the office because you need to go out from there) without attracting a taxable benefit

That's interesting, wonder how you stand, just for arguments sake, you are nearly 250 miles from the office, you are out on the road 5 days a week, average 200 miles plus a day, pay private milage back to company at hmrc rates for private milage and yet still get clobbered on company car tax.

surely the difference is that you are using it for private use - thats what gets you clobbered - no private use , no taxable benefit - simples

A nice idea but if they dropped the tax on fuel it would be added somewhere else so we wouldn't end up any better off. Personally I think it's right to have it on an environmentally damaging product.

I actually think the tax should be higher in exchange for scrapping road tax then the amount you pay will be proportional to the amount you use the car.

Steve.

IF the environment is that important, wouldn't it be better to stop pollution like excessive street lighs, offices with lights on all the time and shops with heating at full wack and doors wide open in winter?

The problem for many people is that there is no alternative to a car. Sure if u live in a big city it's fine, but for me it's a no goer. I get a train to work, but if I bused to station it's £5.70 return a day with rip off stagecoach, plus a 10 min bike ride, and aside from the bike ride would take another 30mins per day.

IF the environment is that important, wouldn't it be better to stop pollution like excessive street lighs, offices with lights on all the time and shops with heating at full wack and doors wide open in winter?

The problem for many people is that there is no alternative to a car. Sure if u live in a big city it's fine, but for me it's a no goer. I get a train to work, but if I bused to station it's £5.70 return a day with rip off stagecoach, plus a 10 min bike ride, and aside from the bike ride would take another 30mins per day.

Can't you get a job closer to home? Can't you develop your photography business to a stronger model to bring more money in? Can't you ride a bike faster?

Maybe so but Europe does not have the same amount of tax/duty that we do. Czech replublic are a good 22p a litre cheaper than here.

Italy is 30p a litre more expensive than the UK, with Czech only being 7p less on petrol. We come 6th on the league of European petrol prices. With diesel it's a different story, what's very noticeable is that only in two countries is diesel more expensive than petrol, here and Switzerland .

http://www.drive-alive.co.uk/fuel_prices_europe.html

Last edited:
Can't you get a job closer to home? Can't you develop your photography business to a stronger model to bring more money in? Can't you ride a bike faster?

I'd love a job closed to home but "local" jobs just don't pay enough. My daily commute is about 34 miles and I put around £200(ish) per month in mine and the wife's cars (she's got a Pug 107 so it's very economical but not practical to use for the commute as I give other people a lift too).

Where I work is bang smack in the middle of two different trainlines and a conservative estimate would be be around £10 per day to use public transport which is about the same as using my car BUT would mean each journey taking about 90mins instead of 30-45mins.

I'd love a job closed to home but "local" jobs just don't pay enough. My daily commute is about 34 miles and I put around £200(ish) per month in mine and the wife's cars (she's got a Pug 107 so it's very economical but not practical to use for the commute as I give other people a lift too).

Where I work is bang smack in the middle of two different trainlines and a conservative estimate would be be around £10 per day to use public transport which is about the same as using my car BUT would mean each journey taking about 90mins instead of 30-45mins.
I think that this sums up the problems that successive governments ignore...

For many people, public transport isn't an option and a car isn't an unnecessary luxury. And yet people are very heavily taxed on their need to get to work.

In rural areas, it can be even worse, with 4WD vehicles, and horrifically expensive road fund licence + heavy fuel costs can be essential, just so that people like farmworkers can get to out of the way workplaces where they often get minimum pay...

For people with regular and moderate commutes electric cars are a good answer. Normal car could be hired for longer trips.

Nissan leaf with 100 mile range would do most people. They're about £240 a month to buy with £3500 deposit. 24kw/h capacity so under £2 to charge it.

Volvo now have a diesel hybrid which has 155mpg equivalence. Once this becomes the norm on £20k cars rather than a £60k one then fuel costs will stop being an issue.

Why not get a local job that pays less but you save on commute expenses....work overtime for the 'commute' hours you used to do and you will be quids in.

(just a theory but it is feasible)

For people with regular and moderate commutes electric cars are a good answer. Normal car could be hired for longer trips.

Nissan leaf with 100 mile range would do most people. They're about £240 a month to buy with £3500 deposit. 24kw/h capacity so under £2 to charge it.

Volvo now have a diesel hybrid which has 155mpg equivalence. Once this becomes the norm on £20k cars rather than a £60k one then fuel costs will stop being an issue.

No proof that the purchase price will come down significantly though...that is always the stumbling block, people need to make savings immediately - not long term.

Why not get a local job that pays less but you save on commute expenses....work overtime for the 'commute' hours you used to do and you will be quids in.

(just a theory but it is feasible)

The only real local jobs would be retail or call centre, not much more than minimum wage. The reduction in travel costs wouldn't even get close to the drop in salary. Even similar roles are £5K-£10K less

Trust me, if I could get a local job that paid well enough for me to take it I'd be on to it like a shot :LOL:

Electric cars are a waste of space. well not a waste but too time consuming.

Garages need to turn into warehouses full of batteries on charge all the time.

You drive in like you would to fill up with gas. oOnly you change over batteries. and drive off again.

It's the waiting time to charge that puts me off Electric cars.

Drive in a change dead battery for charged one and off you go would be great....

No proof that the purchase price will come down significantly though...that is always the stumbling block, people need to make savings immediately - not long term.

Depreciation is a massive cost in car ownership yet many people will switch car, spend thousands, for the sake of a few mpg. People aren't rational so the idea of spending £2 for 100 miles instead of £10-£18 will appeal far more...

Costs of electric cars will come down as volume production always leads to savings. Manufacturers really need to sell them at a loss initially to get enough of them on the road that they stop being seen as a niche product.

Electric cars are a waste of space. well not a waste but too time consuming.

Garages need to turn into warehouses full of batteries on charge all the time.

You drive in like you would to fill up with gas. oOnly you change over batteries. and drive off again.

It's the waiting time to charge that puts me off Electric cars.

Drive in a change dead battery for charged one and off you go would be great....

There have been vehicles with swappable batteries. The fast charges are now 30 mins so it's basically a sensible amount of break time compared to the previous several hours.

In congested cities is it possible to do more than 100 miles up until lunchtime then between lunch and knocking off for the day?

How quickly do the fast chargers kill batteries compared to normal speed ones? How much does cold weather affect the batteries? What's the life of them? How is the power to fuel them generated? What happens to the dead batteries?

They're a nice idea but currently not a real option for most - the purchase cost is too great compared to a conventionally fuelled vehicle not to mention the need to park close to a power point.

How quickly do the fast chargers kill batteries compared to normal speed ones? How much does cold weather affect the batteries? What's the life of them? How is the power to fuel them generated? What happens to the dead batteries?

They're a nice idea but currently not a real option for most - the purchase cost is too great compared to a conventionally fuelled vehicle not to mention the need to park close to a power point.

This is quite a nice idea:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring...-to-earn-money-from-electric-car-drivers.html

TFL pay for the unit to be installed at your house then you charge owner's of electric vehicles whilst they're parked there. One good thing about electricity is that there is already an infrastructure in place - you just need the "sockets" but there's no more reliance on petrol stations.

I don't know whether electric, hybrids, hydrogen or ultra efficient diesel/petrol engines will prevail but certainly London seems to be putting some effort into EVs.

I'm sure I saw/read something a little while ago that said depending on how your electricity is generated, in some cases the carbon footprint of an electric car is greater than an efficient petrol/diesel car.

I'm sure I saw/read something a little while ago that said depending on how your electricity is generated, in some cases the carbon footprint of an electric car is greater than an efficient petrol/diesel car.

That's only if you exclude the carbon foot print from the refining industry...oil refining uses a heck of a lot of power.

So does coal mining. Gas doesn't just flow naturally into power stations either. Not to mention the mining and production of the metals to produce the batteries.

and even if you use renewables and nuclear to provide the power, the carbon footprint of building them isnt small.

"Look, if I argue with you I must take up a contrary position"
"Yes, but that isnt just saying 'no it isn't' all the time!"
"Yes it is!"
"It is not!"

;)

We're already running dangerously close to capacity on the national grid and seriously getting near to a time when electricity will be rationed due to there being insufficient power generation (proper true power, not windymills that work one day in three due to no wind or it being too windy!) to meet the needs.

PJ S said:
We're already running dangerously close to capacity on the national grid and seriously getting near to a time when electricity will be rationed due to there being insufficient power generation (proper true power, not windymills that work one day in three due to no wind or it being too windy!) to meet the needs.

There's a massive excess at night that isn't used. What is needed is electricity storage within the grid infrastructure as some producers are being paid to not produce because its not needed. It's a dumb system that's been allowed to develop.

HMG needs to get on with building a load of fission reactors around the coastline to secure the electricity supply. Not that that has much to do with the cost of petrol.

There are better uses for fossil fuels than power generation. There aren't better uses for fissile uranium. It's cheap and plentiful and aside from making compact balance weights (it's very dense, even compared to lead) you can't do much else with it.

Exactly, then we can reduce our dependency on the ME to a fair degree, but after Japan, the Germans have effectively banned nuclear power generation, even though the Japanese plant is at least 2 generations behind the most current and withstood forces it was never intended to.
Far too much knee-jerking and hand-wringing by the idiots that we idiots let loose every 4-5 years to run the asylum!

Bringing it back to oil/fuel - I recall there being something which said speculators don't need to have the actual money to buy the oil they speculate on, just £100K or so.
In other words, for a small amount of real money, you can buy many many times that value in oil, and trade it.
No bloody wonder it's $120 instead of $40 or so.
Then again, I read something on the BBC website about Hydrogen FCs, and that it's very energy intensive to get to the state required for a fuel - that was back in 2008, I think.
Makes me think if you push the cost of crude oil up, then difference in the cost of R&D'ing hydrogen isn't as stark, so it becomes more appealing, etc.
So, cyncial manipulation of the value of oil to artificially close the gap between it and other options?
I know China gets blamed for a lot of the price hike - there's an element of reality about that, but it's not all down to the former 3rd world countries like them and India now growing out of that status.
And it's not even down being past peak-oil - there's at least 2 centuries worth of oil available, which whilst more difficult to extract, will be overcome by the oil companies as a matter of course.

I live in a 2up 2down, with my car parked on the street, were the hell I'm I going to charge my electric car ? It's just a non started for millions of homes in Britain.

Rather than looking for different ways of moving ourselves around, we should be looking at ways of eliminating the need to move around.

i.e. work, accommodation and shops all nearby. Not separate residential areas, industrial estates and shopping centres.

Steve.

acetone said:
I live in a 2up 2down, with my car parked on the street, were the hell I'm I going to charge my electric car ? It's just a non started for millions of homes in Britain.

Non contact embedded street parking charging points. Lamppost chargers. Dedicated bollards. At work. That's 4 places :)

Or get a hybrid which doesn't need charging often and is far more practical for more varied mileage anyway. I think hybrids are generally more sensible.

Non contact embedded street parking charging points. Lamppost chargers. Dedicated bollards. At work. That's 4 places :)

Or get a hybrid which doesn't need charging often and is far more practical for more varied mileage anyway. I think hybrids are generally more sensible.

Don't know about where you live, but round here the kids will find it great fun unplugging all the cars every night,or chopping the leads in half.

At the moment the premium price paid for a hybrid does not make it financially worth while.

The price of electric cars is shocking

Has the technology of the humble dynamo not improved?

What happened to all the leccy milk floats? I only see the diesel powered ones delivering milk now no battery ones.

Back