oh bother, another mid/premium compact conundrum

Edit My Images
No
It was all going to be so easy, after ruling out the Sony RX, Fuji X100 and Canon G7x it was the Ricoh GR all the way so I saves my money and now at the point to look for a bargain.. then I happen across the Nikon Coolpix A, looks very impressive for the current price..

So any users of the Coolpix A to give input.

Ta

Looks nice but I've decided that back screen shooting isn't for me.

If you can live with just the back screen and the FoV and the 1/2000 max shutter speed (that'll limit your wide aperture shooting in good light unless you carry an ND) it looks like a nice camera.

Are you looking at this as buying a camera or getting a bargain. If you have your sensible head on you will realise the GR beats it in almost every area. If you, like a lot of people with GAS( myself included) are thinking ' wow this camera was almost a grand when released and now it's around £250.00 then I can pretty much confirm you will buy it and it will be in the classifieds within a month. Hehe

Last edited:
Panasonic LX100 is another option? M43 sensor in a medium small body with a zoom range

Both are great cameras although most online reviews put the Ricoh slightly ahead of the Nikon. Of course neither will give you the astonishing detail you get from the Sigma Merrill cameras, but I'm assuming you already know that ;)

Not sure what the current price is but I got mine for £250 which I think was a great deal, the IQ and build quality is top drawer and to get DSLR-level files from such a tiny camera makes it the perfect travel camera for me. I got the leather ever ready case and strap for it too, makes it into a very nice package indeed.

The Nikon A has a fixed lens - have you looked at the Coolpix P7800? I have one I use professionally - perfectly good for covers and DPS. 28mm - 200mm f2.0/f4.0 lens - not the D2X sensor, but it is still excellent. I think it is a bargain at £300, I also have the wide angle converter for it that I had to have an adaptor made by a local engineering firm - expands my lens to a non-vignetting 21mm that can take a 77mm polariser if I want to.

Taken with the adaptor in place - so at 21mm although the metadata will only say 28mm because the camera doesn't know the wide angle is fitted - so what! This was mk1 adaptor fitment - the length was shortened by 2mm to remove those corner clips.

Last edited:
Back