Oh..........come on!

Name
Steve Green
Edit My Images
Yes
I went to an independent photography shop today to have a feel of the 350D and D50.

When i started talking about pricing etc the seemingly knowledgable assistant told me that a lot of internet deals on the Canon are because they are imported and that they would not be covered by a UK warranty.........fair enough i thought.

He then stated that even if i use an imported memory card in a UK model this would invalidate the warranty...........

Scare tactics???? :ponders:

Certainly, since all memory cards are imported anyway :) come to think of it so are all Canon cameras!

you should of asked him how he could work out if you've used an imported memory card or not?

Carl.

imported = not made or manufactured in the UK = just about everything then!!

Scare tactics - hmmm maybe, but more likely B******t:hand:

This is why most high street retailers have such a bad rep, their prices are high fair enough - but its the constant tell us everything except the truth that really :banghead:

How can you ask advice from a group of society that constantly lies to us, its not even a good excuse - its utter rubbish that either "A" Shows how little he knows, or "B" Shows how little he thinks you know, or all the above.

:hand:
*RANT OVER*
I dont really like the high street if Im honest;)

Warspite said:
its utter rubbish that either "A" Shows how little he knows, or "B" Shows how little he thinks you know, or all the above.

Even stranger if you consider that I was showing an apparently reasonable knowledge about the options. To be fair, there were matching 'high street' prices and had the 350D and kit lens for £599. He reckoned that was the same as Jessops but I didn't bother checking as there was no way he would be able to match a decent internet price. I would like to use a high street retailer, but i am unlikely to get a better deal than on the internet, for instance

I paid £599 for mine in June last year @ Jessops so I suspect you should be able to get cheaper.

Might want to look here, not used them myself but they have some good prices:

Pixmania.co.uk

I think Pixmania are based in France. so their products are european versions. Canon UK will not honour warranties on them. If you had a problem you would need to return it to Pixmania for repair.

Well on their site they mention a pick up store in London at the following address:
792, Fulham Road
Fulham-LONDON
SW6

I know but the goods will be european in origin, I've seen many posts over the years from customers saying that instruction books are not in english for example.

Pixmanias reviewcentre rating is 2-3 out of 10 and the reviews are well worth a read before considering buying from them.
http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews-all-52149.html

Well I'll give you that - I did say I hadnt used them in my defense ;)

Steep said:
I know but the goods will be european in origin, I've seen many posts over the years from customers saying that instruction books are not in english for example.

Pixmanias reviewcentre rating is 2-3 out of 10 and the reviews are well worth a read before considering buying from them.
http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews-all-52149.html

I never understand this, why is it we're part of Europe when it costs us more, but we're not when it would cost us less?. :banghead:

stevegreen said:
Are you pleased with it? What, if any, other lenses did you get?

It's my first SLR and I think its brilliant. Quite small compared to traditional SLR sizes but as I've never used one before that's no big deal for me.

Lenses:
Canon 50mm f1.8 mk I -- brilliant lens, use it all the time
Kit lens -- great lens for the price, produces acceptable results
70-300 Sigma -- Not bad, soft after 200 mm but fine for the price
28-105 f3.5-4.5 USM -- Lovely, sharp, fast, silent (only borrowed unfortunately) :(

Back