Critique Oil & Water - First attempt

Name
Ken
Edit My Images
Yes
My first ever go at oil and water, so open to critique / advice on how to improve / have more fun (and it was fun!).

The first few are coloured water added to oil, whilst the last 2 are oil added to water.

In each case I used two desk lamps and some coloured paper / glossy magazine covers underneath the container.

_DSC8299 by Ken McN, on Flickr

_DSC8308 by Ken McN, on Flickr

_DSC8323 by Ken McN, on Flickr

_DSC8333-Edit by Ken McN, on Flickr

_DSC8339 by Ken McN, on Flickr

_DSC8356 by Ken McN, on Flickr

Oil in water....

I struggled to stop the oil just all merging together, then afterwards realised the container wasn't perfectly level, which explains why the oil 'bubbles' kept moving:

_DSC8360 by Ken McN, on Flickr

_DSC8385 by Ken McN, on Flickr

super sharp. Better than my attempts.
Thanks Jason. Everything shot on manual, including focus so once it was set then just keep shooting. :) Think I need some deeper water / oil, as I can see markings from the glass container. Will have another go on a rainy 'indoors' day.

these are pretty good with some interesting effects
i have seen a lot of oil in water shots over the years and to be honest most of them have a very similar look
i'm not sure what type of oils other people use but experimenting with different types might give more interesting results

i had a go a few years ago and used engine oil in hot/warm water and the results were definitely different then the usual oil in water results
here's a couple of examples

i think it's worth experimenting to see what different results can be had
maybe trying different types of oils in the same container ?

Back