Ok am I being daft? D3300 to D7000 upgrade

Edit My Images
Yes
I'm seriously considering swapping up from a D3300 to a D7000. I've been scouring all over the web to see what has been previously written.

My motives, well this is where you can help me out. I'm not convinced with the focussing of my D3300 in lower light. Granted this is mostly with my kit lenses, but I also have a 1.8g 50mm. I like the features of the D7000 and can't quite stretch to D7100 money.

Am I being suckered in by promotional material? Am I getting into 'gear one up manship' would I see a real difference?

I love my D3300 but having used a D3 over the weekend, I was amazed at how much faster and sharper the focussing was. Would the focus motor inside the body perform better than the AF-S lenses' motors?

I KNOW I should be buying better glass rather than a body, but I already have a reasonable 70-300 and a reasonable 80-400.

So, please, help me out. Would this be a worthwhile upgrade from 3300 to a used 7000? Or am I just being suckered in? Tell me how it is guys, I need a reality check.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I think the 7000 is better as the menu access and button layout is better on the 7k

Don't bother trying to stretch for the 7100![emoji30] it's pants ...... but a 7200 is brilliant

I soon replaced my d3200 with a d7000 when I started and never looked back, having your adjustments readily to hand (well fingers) was important to me

Depends on what you are trying to capture, if it's moving objects then yes, but as you have already said, lenses
make a lot of difference.
I use both the D7100 and D7200 and can honestly say both are good, not tried a D7000.
Which 80-400 do you have, l have the nikon version and the focusing very fast even on a mates
D90

Last edited:
Don't bother - I went from d3100 to d7000, absolutely zero difference in IQ

Waste of my pennies

Am confused - you mention poor low light focusing but then mention fairly long lenses

I assume you're not trying to use these at night ( unless you're shooting the moon )

I used to use a 35 1.8g on my d3100 and it was fine at night.

My 13 year old has a d3100 and 18-105 and his shots are plenty sharp at night. Admittedly, not quick to focus but that's due to the lens

It's the sigma 80-400 with OS but not hsm

I had the sigma 150-500 and that was rubbish at focusing in low light, really hunted even on the D7100

Sorry, just to clarify, I'm NOT using long lenses in the dark. The poor focussing was on the kit lenses, 18-55 and 55-200 wide open.

I've used my 50mm at night for some Astro on a tripod manually focussed and was really pleased with the results.

The shortcomings have been in a hotel function room with some natural light and some artificial light, auto ISO capped at 1600.

Really appreciate the comments so far.

Last edited:
I owned a D7000 for a while but never really got on with it... I don't know why, it just didn't feel right to me, I went back to a D90 which I can't fault, so I'd suggest looking for a decent D90, I had mine 5 years and only this year upgraded to a D7200.

I owned a D7000 for a while but never really got on with it... I don't know why, it just didn't feel right to me, I went back to a D90 which I can't fault, so I'd suggest looking for a decent D90, I had mine 5 years and only this year upgraded to a D7200.
Agreed. Worst photographic decision ever was selling my D90 for a D7000 - avoid, really.

Agreed. Worst photographic decision ever was selling my D90 for a D7000 - avoid, really.
:agree: Same here although I completely disagree with Mark Twiglet as I found the D7100 to be much better than the D7000.

Actually I think that focussing performance is one of the few decent reasons to upgrade. One thing the D3xxx series is not good at is focus - both speed and accuracy. My D3200 is relegated to landscape function for that very reason.

Having said that, all DSLRs are clunky, cludgy things with inherent errors in the focussing system, it's just that the more expensive ones are made to tighter tolerances. Mirrorless with on-sensor focus is what you want for perfect focus every time. But that's a whole 'nother can of worms.

Last edited:
What is it you're photographing? Landscape or bird in flight!

I'd personallly spend the money on better glass. Those variable aperture long range zooms will not be particularly fast to af, and nor will they be particularly sharp - especially wide open.

Although, your 50 1.8 should be more than capable in most situations - unless you're trying to focus in the dark?!

Before my d750, I had a 3100 and the 35 1.8 was very usable even in low light situations.

With the long lenses I mainly shoot wildlife, so I'm happy with tripods etc when required.

I treated myself to the 400 for the odd airshow I go to as the 300 didn't quite have enough reach.

Excellent comments above, thanks again

To the op..

I've had the 3200, 7000 & still have the 7100. I also have the 80-400 lens - Nikon vr2 version.

Didn't like the 7000 at all, 7100 is improved all over but I still don't take it beyond ISO 1600...
Think the 7200 will get to ISO 3200 and so if I'm keeping it for a while the 7200 is the version to get.

hmm so more focus points and more cross focus points but an older sensor. do the cross points still need a f4 or better ?

I have the D7000 and love it, horses for courses I guess, I am used to D2X and prefer the D7000 as its got a few more MP not as heavy, even with the battery grip, feels solid over the wifes D3200 I personally wouldn't rule one out, yes there is the focus points and extra MP but that apart it will perform just as good as a 7100 in the right hands with the right lens

I owned both the 7000 and the 7100. Loved the 7k but the 7100 didn't really offer me anything more. Didn't grow to love it at all. Since had another 7k and now a 750.

I never had any issues with the 7k, great camera for me and worked a treat in every kind of situation including low light sports settings. Weddings, rallying in dark forests, OCF, landscape, portraits.

Having the buttons on the body is a big improvement as is the improved build quality and weather resistance.

How long did you have your D7000?

I'm happy to see I'm not the only one who brought a D7000 only to realise I didn't like it!

Since first release - about 5 years? Just sold it - been meaning to do it for ages but just got round to it. Replaced by a D700 - that wasn't the plan but I thought I'd give FF a go. Now, I love that camera!
For me the biggest let down with the D7000 was the focus or, should I say, the lack of reliable focus. Even after sending it back to Nikon. D90 was spot on every time. As is the D700. Honestly didn't see any difference in IQ either between D90 and D7000, just a shift in JPEG colour.

Personally, I'd stick with the D3300. It's got a better sensor. The only downside to the D3300 is the lack of focus points and no micro-focus adjustment. You've got direct access to ISO and EV adjustment - what else do you regularly need whilst you're shooting?

I went from a D3100 to a D7000. The thing I've noticed with the D3100 is when I had it on P mode for everyday changing situations (carnivals, etc) and haven't got the time to be dealing with manual settings, I was getting terrible blown highlights in a lot of photos, even when I stopped it down and kept the ISO at low as I can (around 200), I was still getting more miss than hits. I had no problems with that kind of thing on my first DSLR, the D40 - I was getting much more pleasing looking shots with that.
The D7000, I'm pleased to say, felt like it had more "intelligence", as if it understood the lighting conditions better while on P mode.

One of the things I loved about my old D7000 (no longer have it) was the ability to meter with old AI lenses. It was fantastic with super lenses like the 100mm f2.5 for example. Very versatile camera and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Back