OK, so how do I know what Arca Swiss size I need?

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
Ive got the rc2 manfrotto system but for some time now ive been trying to move over to arca swiss and have already bought the L bracket for my camera (Olympus EM1)

So, now Im confused. When I look about on various sites I see there seems to be 50mm or 38 mm sizes, so where do I measure the L bracket to know which to order?

Im sure that it's simple but when you don't know you simply don't know and guess what? I don't know :oops: :$:oops: :$:confused::confused:

I'm assuming that you are referring to the Arca Swiss clamp? These are standard and use either a knob or quick-release level to tighten up to the L bracket. I believe what you are referring to is the width of the clamp, which just effects how much contact area there is with the L bracket. Hope this helps...

If you have Manfrotto why not convert your current head with an adapter, search Ebay for a combination of Arca Swiss Compatible Manfrotto Boss

As Si says the mm measurement is the clamp size, go right down to less than 25mm, seems fine for my Fuji gear

Last edited:
Should have said - I've got 40mm and 50mm clamps and these work fine for me with an L bracket and full frame DSLR and telephoto lenses - I'd have thought 38mm or possibly smaller would be fine with the Olympus.. you can convert the Manfrotto RC series as mentioned above, I've done it with a couple of them with good results. Clamp kits aren't expensive from the likes of Amazon or eBay. Something like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Boss-Ada...574210?hash=item4af9cd7f82:g:X-cAAOSwzgRWzs5T

The Manfrotto heads have a cut-out under the RC2 clamp and the bit that looks like a plastic washer with bumps on it helps keep the replacement clamp in situ. I'd also suggest getting some loctite for the bolt so it doesn't come loose!

Last edited:
Ah! See, I knew that there was no standard so wasn't sure if that measurement was the front to back where the bracket clips in or what.

As for converting, I've thought about that but was planning only using the l bracket when out and about but might see if i can get one that does both, like this one
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT9FNoP7zs0

Even simpler Araldite a generic Arca Clamp to the Manfrotto RC2 plate, think that's what I might do

Ah! See, I knew that there was no standard so wasn't sure if that measurement was the front to back where the bracket clips in or what.

As for converting, I've thought about that but was planning only using the l bracket when out and about but might see if i can get one that does both, like this one
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT9FNoP7zs0

I had a look at clamps as in the first part of the video, but decided to replace the whole clamp assembly because I was never really convinced by the security of the RC2 system. I always found it either twisted or worked loose.

As for the Arca 'standard' - most stuff does fit, but you get the odd clamp where certain brands of plate won't quite fit, due to the shape of the underside of the plate IME. Flipping annoying and you can never be 100% sure what will/won't fit until you try it...

yes mate it's great for the money, simply unscrewed the old manfrotto rc2 version and screwed this on in its place, does the job nicely and no bother getting used to leaving the L bracket on the camera now all the time. I thought it would be a hassle to get used to but its not at all.

Back