OK this is really my last roll of XP2...

Name
Justin
Edit My Images
Yes
Found a half finished roll, so shot the rest of it the last few weeks. Posted in the architecture and landscape sections, but thought I'd share them with my fellow film monkeys.

Nikon FM2

031_32A.JPG

034_35A.JPG

018_18A.JPG

Last edited:
Over all a nice set, it's B&W's like this that you only really see from film that I'm constantly trying to emulate in the digital medium :D they just seems to have more depth (y) I love the second but it does look to need a little and I mean little CW rotation :thinking:

Matt
MWHCVT

Justin,

If I could emulate those shots with XP2 there is no way I would stop, is it a" I am really into film thing", if so just keep doing what you are and add some other film types.

#1 is such a big sky and with the choppy water and wind blown foreground the tree isolated in the flood? water just stands out for me, I would love to see this photograph in colour:).

#2 is little non de-script for me not enough going on, but would that wheel drum fit my E-type, if so could you get it for me.:)

#3 I like this a lot looks like a piece of modern art, I like the angles conflicting with each other and love the reflection to the underside of the overpass. very nice indeed.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

XP2 is a little too grainy and lacks in contrast. Too many shades of grey, not enough white or black. Also I'm getting into true black and white film lately (stuff I can dev at home).

Colour wouldn't have worked imho. The clouds were dramatic but colours were too muted that day. I think the image would have far less impact if it had been taken in colour. I think I need to go back to the negative and underexpose the trees a little though to bring out the detail (they are a little too dark atm).

No idea what the wheel rim was for, it was too heavy to move, I just was wandering about looking for something to help give the picture a little focus or interest and it was lying there. I have a series of additional images taken using Tmax 100 from that spot and from the cliffs above I will hopefully have the roll finished and devved in the next few weeks (have a backlog at present). The XP2 just skipped the queue being C41. I think the later shots had slightly better composition and a much more dramatic sky - the front rolling in couldn't have been clearer. It was a distinct rolling mass of cloud and sweeping rain that just rolled over the headland as I was setting up. Also I will tweak the horizon just a smidgeon - as you say it is just imperceptibly off, thanks for pointing it out.

Both above images were taken using a tripod, an orange filter, 2 stop Graduated ND for the sky and a 3 stop ND to try and give a little more movement in the water/reeds (was shooting 400 ISO). This is one of the first weekends I've shot using a tripod for each shot and using a handheld light meter to accurately measure the different zones. Really enjoyed the extra time to think, to compose, to contemplate the choice of filters and not be rushing or guessing.

This was taken 2 weekends ago on a sunny way wandering around the end of the Harbour-side in Bristol. I just liked the abstract qualities it had and am pleased it came out as I visualised. The 19mm gives a nice distortion to exaggerate it (this is a dual carriageway btw) and the red filter helped up the contrast that day - it was very bright.

Also just because... a friend took a video on his DSLR of me setting up on the clifftop swapping lenses above the beach a little after shot 2 was taken. So enjoy the GIF he made using 'moviegram'.

2.gif

Just to put the scene in context.

Last edited:
XP2 is a little too grainy and lacks in contrast. Too many shades of grey, not enough white or black. .

So it wasn't just me then. Phew.

Do you know if HP5 is any better? Seems so from what i've seen here, but...

So it wasn't just me then. Phew.

Do you know if HP5 is any better? Seems so from what i've seen here, but...

Try BW400CN, much more contrasty than XP2 and finer grained. Nowhere near as nice tones though.

Back