Ok what do I need for a 1 Light Setup?

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
Im thinking I need this? But how much is it all and what do I need?

Canon Speedlight 420 EX
Stand
Bracket to hold Speedlight
Umbrella 60"

What else do I need?

a cable or wireless triggers(y)

a model, background

reflector

a camera

a lens...:p

and an imagination

a cable or wireless triggers(y)

a model, background

reflector

a camera

a lens...:p

and an imagination

hehe, I have the camera, lens and model

Hotshoes, coldshoes etc I dont know about?

So I need cable, wireless or IR? im frustrated as to what I need as the shoes confuse me, what works with the canon 420?

no idea what works with that flash, but a hot/cold shoe mount with a sync socket should work i would have thought. i think ebay is bout the best place to get the flash brackets, that mount onto a stand with brolly hole and i think some have sync sockets, but never looked in truth. manfrotto do them as well, but are more expensive

The flash umbrella adapter can be bought from Calumet for £18 and comes with a hot-shoe, can't comment on how good it is at the mo, I'm waiting for mine to arrive.

Rob.

60" umbrella is too big for a speedlight in my opinion. At 20mm my light fills a 40" just nicely.

I've just started using off camera flash using my 430ex.

I bought this kit from the flash centre. It's not super cheap but it is simple!

I also bought this double fold convertible 43inch westcott umbrella from creative video.

I use cheap ebay triggers (poverty wizards) like these from gadget infinity on ebay.

I found the links to these sites here in this awesome blog entry. I did shop around a bit to see if I could find anything cheaper but just ended up going with the recommended links.

I'm just moving on to using a two light setup now using a modified vivitar 283 as my second flash. Check out my flickr over the next couple of weeks, I should be posting photos using both one and two lights including details of the studio layout.

Good luck and enjoy! :D

not cheap, does it work with the 430EX?
So the Canon Speedlights have a wireless receiver built in?

Yep, it works just fine, You'll notice on the back of the flash that there's a switch just above the hotshoe that has "off" and "slave" settings. The "slave" setting sets the flash to work wirelessly with either another speedlight or the transmitter.

Cheers

Mark

Back