Oktoberfest - Prime Lens Challenge

Ok,

I feel the need to be stretching myself as well and given I just ordered a new lens which is due to arrive Wednesday, I can hardly not......

1. I'm going to use my (new) 35mm L f/1.4 USM and my 100mm f/2.8 IS L USM Macro

2. I'm going to post at least 3 shots per week

3. I need a pass for my 100-400 for the rut only.....

4. A minimum of 1 shot per lens must be used per week (no wimping out with just Macro)

Hi I'm gonna give it a go I only have sigma 50mm 1.4 and a canon 1.8. Want to compare so I'll aim for 2 a week

Hi Sarah, welcome to the forum. First post and you're committing to a challenge - very impressive :)

Sigma 50mm f/1.4 :love: Lovely lens!

As you can all tell, I'm a bit of a fast lens fan!

ace idea. Mind if I join?

OK - I'm going to use either a 24 f/1.4 or a 35 f/1.4 and the rules for me are

1) Atleast 3 shots a week.

2) Atleast 1 from each lens.

3) No commercial work.

Hugh

rock on! Never set myself any challenges before (apart from POTY) and now i feel the need!

Only got a nifty fifty, so here goes with my rules;

1. 50mm f/1.8 - all shots wide open
2. 5 shots per week
3. all shots to be taken in my showroom (you'll have to wait and see what i sell!!)

This could be pretty monotonous with all shots being taken in 1 location, so the challenge is on to try and get some variety in there. Here goes nothing :clap:

Well as I am only just getting into primes I will have a go.

I will commit to.....

1; Using either the 50mm f1.4 or 85mm f1.8

2; posting at least one shot per week (serious familiy pressures!!)

3; I have a couple of shoots and some football matches to cover but will use the primes as much as possible.

4; I will drink beer.

Lets see what I can do when kicked up the rear:thinking:

Nick

I'd like to join but will be shooting on film and will be away for the half term so will that get me disqualified?

No Richard, no disqualifications as it's a personal challenge to yourself. Just add it in as one of your own rules. :)

What camera and lens will you be using?

And there was me thinking this was about beer :(

I'll use my 105mm f/2.5 MF or 50mm f/1.8, and will do 4 shots per week. No event pass. My challenge will be that two per week must be of the 105mm MF wide open.
I'm wondering whether it is two late to change my kit bag. I just took receipt of a Cosina/Vivitar 100mm f/3.5 1:1 Macro lens. I have never shot Macro before in my life. So thought that would be a nice challenge and it is a prime.

So if allowed I'll exchange my 50mm f/1.8 which is my comfortable slipper equivalent, to the Cosina and my challenge is beside the two in MF, at least one has to be in Macro/Close-UP...

No Richard, no disqualifications as it's a personal challenge to yourself. Just add it in as one of your own rules. :)

What camera and lens will you be using?

Well in that case it will be Pentax LX and 50mm f1.4, I'll be aiming for an average of 2 decent shots a week (see I'm taking weather into account!) and I promise to play fair and not just bulk load a load of shots taken on one day of the holiday!

(y)

I went out yesterday for a trial run and boy was it hard! Having to think about the shots a lot more and not having the flexibility of a zoom made it interesting to say the least. But having said that for a first attempt I'm reasonably pleased with my shots. Have a look at my flickr here if you want to see them :)

Last edited:
Nice set though! You've set the bar :)

Nice set though! You've set the bar :)

Agree :)

I went out yesterday for a trial run and boy was it hard! Having to think about the shots a lot more and not having the flexibility of a zoom made it interesting to say the least. But having said that for a first attempt I'm reasonably pleased with my shots. Have a look at my flickr here if you want to see them :)

I had a quick go the other day as well.... Very hard.....Great fun though....

(shooting Deer with a 100mm Macro is quite something........)

I am really looking forward to this....

Very recently got a 50mm 1.8 so this should help me get to grips with it!

1. Will only use 50mm 1.8
2. Will post 3 images a week
3. At least one will have been focused manually.

Looking forward to this, should get me thinking!

Going to change my lenses used for this.

Just picked up a 20mm f1.7 pancake lens for my Panasonic G3. It's liberating not having to carry around so much DSLR gear and the quality is amazing

My other lens will be my Canon 100mm f2.8 L lens on my 5D2.

I'll keep my other rules as before

I will sign up for this and shoot 3 images a week using my 50mm on my 1.6x crop camera. It's the only prime I own (so far). For bonus points one of these pictures will be at maximum aperture.

Going to change my lenses used for this.

Just picked up a 20mm f1.7 pancake lens for my Panasonic G3. It's liberating not having to carry around so much DSLR gear and the quality is amazing

My other lens will be my Canon 100mm f2.8 L lens on my 5D2.

I'll keep my other rules as before
Excellent Julian :)

I will sign up for this and shoot 3 images a week using my 50mm on my 1.6x crop camera. It's the only prime I own (so far). For bonus points one of these pictures will be at maximum aperture.
Welcome to the challenge Amir (y)

Right tomorrows the start. Please start your picture threads in the Projects, Personal Challenges & Themes forum, and state your commitment in the first post in this format:

1. I'm going to use my 28mm f/2.8 ai-s (manual focus) and my 85mm f/1.8 AF lenses.

2. I'm going to post at least 5 shots per week.

3. No event pass for me - I'm hardcore! :D (Except for the Bushy Park deer rut meet where I'll substitute the 28mm for my 300mm f/4 prime!)

4. At least one shot a week will be of people.

Good luck everyone, and I'm really looking forward to seeing all your pictures (y)

damn Dave... those are good... loving the yellow flower. (y)

Well my first week may be delayed by a couple of holes in the shutter curtain of the LX, If so I'll pop the 50mm f1.4 on the ME instead as that's all loaded with film and waiting for use.

Righto - I'll give this a go.

My rules:

- All with a 50mm
- Absolutely no cropping of the final presented image
- Minimum 3 images a week
- Will get round to posting crit on at least three other images per week too
(Edit - do folks want crit?)

I really want to stop cropping my prime lens shots, so am looking to improve composition in-camera rather than post production.

Ian.

good idea about the cropping thing Ian... might join you on that. As for the crit... fire away... (y)

Back