Beginner Old camera (500d), new lens (50mm)

Name
Rich
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi experts,

I've been using a Canon 500d with the kit lens + 55-250mm Canon zoom for many years. I was about to invest in something like an 80d but I've just bought the Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM lens. I am simply staggered by the difference spending £90 has made. Feels like I have a different camera based on the quality of the pictures. Would you recommend I still upgrade to an 80d or 7dMkII (I've kind of dismissed full frame for now). For example, is image quality likely to be much better/sharper? I suspect video will be a lot better as the 500d is rubbish with that IMO.

Many thanks, Richard.

Hi experts,

I've been using a Canon 500d with the kit lens + 55-250mm Canon zoom for many years. I was about to invest in something like an 80d but I've just bought the Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM lens. I am simply staggered by the difference spending £90 has made. Feels like I have a different camera based on the quality of the pictures. Would you recommend I still upgrade to an 80d or 7dMkII (I've kind of dismissed full frame for now). For example, is image quality likely to be much better/sharper? I suspect video will be a lot better as the 500d is rubbish with that IMO.

Many thanks, Richard.

You've learnt the lesson yourself that most would try to teach (that glass makes a bigger difference), but then you're considering buying a new body!

What does an 80D or 7D2 cost? I bet you could buy your first L glass with that money.

Firstly do you actually need video?

If you don't then as a decent lens I would suggest the 70-300mm L lens which is excellent OR the 100-400mm L lens, both with IS.

You should be able to get a decent s/h copy of either for the price of a 7D2.

It's a cost effective approach to only buy EF lenses from now on. The EF-S are only for crop. If, as I infer from your original post, you're eventually going to get a full frame body, you'll have compatible lenses when the time comes.

You could raise a few quid by flogging your 18-55 and 55-250.

Last edited:
You've learnt the lesson yourself that most would try to teach (that glass makes a bigger difference), but then you're considering buying a new body!

What does an 80D or 7D2 cost? I bet you could buy your first L glass with that money.

Agreed - invest in the glass vs camera bodies.

If the body is doing the job you need it to do, then keep using it. If its limited in features, ISO, frame rate etc, then consider changing.

Keep an eye on the used section, the odd bargain comes up! Prime lenses will give you the biggest improvement in quality, but a zoom potentially more useful. All depends on what your shooting & your style / preference.

Back