Old Camera Help

Name
Harry
Edit My Images
Yes
I have just inherited an old camera - a Zeiss-Ikon Nettar IIB (518/16). Although I have very little knowledge of photography, the only snaps I ever take are on my phone :thumbsdown: , I find myself rather fascinated by my new aquisition.

Can anyone help me as to what sort of film I might need and where I could get it from. From what I can work out I need 120 roll film with 6cmX6cm negatives?

As I said, with very little knowledge of photography, this is all double dutch to me.

Any corrections/help in my quest would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Harry

Hi Harry, welcome aboard.

Heres a little background on the camera
http://www.marriottworld.com/pieces/pieces23.htm

Its a cracking bit of kit and if its in good condition will produce stunning (and I mean really stunning) images. 6x6 negatives contain an amazing amount of detail and 120 film is still easily available from places like Silverprint, AG Photographic, 7 Day shop etc and can be developed at places such as Peak Imaging or Club 35 to name but 2.
120 film can be used to take any number of negatives as it isn't split into individual negs like 35mm. Hope this helps and I'm sure someone will be along with more knowledge than I before long.

Cheers

Andy

For just a one-off film to have a play with, see what you can pick-up locally - your local independent camera shop id your best bet, your local Jessops may carry one or two rolls of 120. Make sure it's a C41 process colour negative film so that you can get it developed by Jessops or your local camera shop.

You just need to ask for "120 film".. the 6x6 just refers to the size of image the camera will put onto it.

You're most likely to find Fuji Pro 160S or Pro 400H, others to look for are Kodak Ektar 100 or any of the Portra films.

Wait for a sunny day and go with the sunny-16 rule, i.e. set the aperture to f/16 (this will give you a decent depth of field) and set the shutter speed to the setting closest to 1/(the ISO rating of the film). So on a sunny day with Kodak Ektar (ISO100) you'd set the camera to f/16 and 1/100 or 1/125 depending which is available on the shutter.

Wow. Couldn't have asked for two better responses. I have a day off and a reasonable forecast on friday so out to the coastal path I shall go.

Thank you both, Andy and Alastair, for such in depth and prompt responses. Ive always found forum sites useful but never to this extent and in such a friendly manner.

Thanks again,

Harry

Its just one long roll of film and there is a mask in the camera that exposes either 6 x 4.5, 6 x 6 or 6 x 9 size image. some cameras have changeable masks so you can do 2 sizes.

Andy

How do you mean?

well how is it split into individual negs ?

Oh I see, you're taking the pee.:D Actually I get what you mean now, you are of course correct 35mm is exactly the same as 120, I didn't phrase that very well at all did I? :bang:

Andy

yeah sorry ,,,i may have been ,just a bit :D

You're naughty and I'm telling my mum on you....:razz: :D

It is easy to forget sometimes that 35mm is only a 36x24mm negative by convention, mainly due to the dearth of cameras that have been adventurous enough to actually use it in another way. I know there are quite a few half-frame 35mm cameras out there - though I never saw the point of these, other than saving on film stock costs BITD - taking a small negative and making it even smaller - 18x24mm - usually in portrait format, just didn't hold much appeal. Now, using 35mm as a panoramic film at 24x65mm as in the Hassleblad Xpan/Fuji TX1 holds a lot more appeal for me. Might just keep an eye out for a ETRS 135W back for the Bronny ;)

Back