Old couple (phone cam but I still like it)

Edit My Images
No
Took this on my phone cam yesterday and despite the obvious technical faults I still liked the image. I've no idea if they're a proper couple, I just thought they looked interesting. Can't decide whether I prefer the B/W version below or the colour version.

oldcouple.jpg

black and white version definately. Did you see the b&w stuff on my thread about street?
Similar sort of technical issues, but I liked the feel of them. Same here really.

Definately B&W for me.

I'll reiterate my thoughts on the when a B&W shot should be B&W or colour.
A shot should be in B&W when the colour of an image is distracting to the main 'story' or purpose of the shot.
In this shot, you are trying to portray a couple of elderly (and most probably knackered) shoppers, sat down looking like theyre having a well needed rest.

In the B&W I'm intrigued to look at their faces, look at their surroundings, and to explore the image.

The colour version, I'm just visually assaulted by that cardigan, that skirt, the shopping bag, and those trousers.
My eyes get slapped about the image, then come to rest on that hideous pattern, all dazed and confused :)

So the B&W it is for me.

B&W version works best for me too Jamey. It has a definite 'documentary' feel to it.

I am curious about this shot and your interaction (if any) with the people there. Did you just take the picture and walk away or stop to chat, or did you ask them first before taking the shot? I ask because they both seem not to have noticed you and it offers a great voyer feel to the whole photo.

It was outside a falafel stand at Shepherd's Bush market. I go there almost every day I work, to the point where the guy who runs it now just says "the usual?" as I approach. That old couple were sitting outside chatting to the owner but then he went back behind the stand. I took a few shots on my phone - it has no 'shutter' noise so it's reasonably easy to be low key, especially around old people who aren't as tech-savvy and wouldn't even think about phone cams. Quite a lot of the shots were head height and looked a bit dull. For this one I held the phone down by my side and took it at about thigh height. It looked a lot better than the others.

So to answer your question... I was an unsociable git. I didn't talk to them at all and they didn't suss what I was doing. I think the shot's appeal is 50% natural conversation between a couple with character and 50% angle.

despite the obvious technical faults I still liked the image

and I can see why but....

... personally I would have binned it with a pang of regret and given myself a stern talking to for not getting a usable image.

Which all has me wondering how far short of producing a sharp image will we all fall before admitting defeat?

And the B&W version was way more interesting than the colour version to me too.

It would have been nicer to get the same image with the 300D but then again I wouldn't have been able to be discreet. they would have looked at me holding a big camera in my hands instead of just holding a phone by my side.

Also, it would've been sharper but what would that add? A few wrinkles on their foreheads. Sharper creases on their trousers. Nice to have but not essential when it comes to the actual image.

Thanks for the reply above Jamey..my main reason for asking was not to call you unsociable but to find out if you had interacted with them before during or after the shot ;)

dazzajl said:
. personally I would have binned it with a pang of regret and given myself a stern talking to for not getting a usable image.

Which all has me wondering how far short of producing a sharp image will we all fall before admitting defeat?

I was wondering that myself just the other day as I looked back through some of my earlier images. I have certainly become much more critical of my own work, often now I will bin images that just didn't make the mark for me technically but are excellent with regards to subject matter or capturing that special moment. Previously they would have been kept and dare I say it displayed for all to see often with much praise being returned.

So I guess to answer my own thoughts..it again is another personal thing. If you are a professional then you simply couldn't allow those images to ever reach the public domain but as amateurs....

Back