Old developer any good?

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
I have been listing a few of my remaining film cameras lately. The bulk of my collection went a while ago, but I held on to some (some didn't sell).
Back a few or more years ago, I was overcome by GAS in terms of wonderful film cameras and spent most of my time "testing" cameras/film/developers/etc rather than actually using them.
Now that I have handled a few of my old cameras, I could feel the bug biting again.... maybe if I stick to one or two cameras and really tried to get used to them, I would be OK?

I've got a couple of very shiny late 50's/early 60's rangefinders that might not sell, and could be fun to play with, so why not use one/two.

Also, deep in the garage is a filing cabinet drawer full of developing chemicals, mainly unopened stop and fixers and one small container of Rodinal.
The Rodinal has had a little used, the air had been squeezed out of the plastic bottle, so I'm hopeful that I can use it again after some 8 or 9 years.
Can it last that long?

Other than penny pinching, is there some reason why you would wish to chance developing film and possibly ruining your negatives by processing them in chemicals that are so old?
Chemicals for b&w négative film developing are not expensive when the cost of processing each film is calculated .

Personally I wouldn’t take the risk for the sake of a few quid but I’m not you ;)

According to this Rodinal can last up to 40 years so I'd shoot a few sacrificial frames at the start of your film, cut a few inches off the roll and try developing that first.

https://www.digitaltruth.com/produc...e dilutions can be used,to last over 40 years.

" One of Rodinal's undoubted attributes is its incredible shelf life, with half-opened bottles reported to last over 40 years. The solution is light straw colored when first opened, and during the course of a year turns darker until eventually becoming deep purple-brown. Don't be fooled into throwing it out! Rodinal continues to perform perfectly regardless of the color of the solution, and is the ideal product to keep on your shelf if you often find your usual developer is exhausted."

Fixer does not keep. The active ingredient is sodium thiosulphate and this fairly readily degrades to sodium sulphate and sulphur. I have used two year old fixer but had to filter the layer off sulphur off first and then had to fix for a long time. A bottle of new fixer is the same price as a couple of films so buy some new.

According to this Rodinal can last up to 40 years so I'd shoot a few sacrificial frames at the start of your film, cut a few inches off the roll and try developing that first.

https://www.digitaltruth.com/products/product.php?brand=adox&link=rodinal#:~:text=Extreme dilutions can be used,to last over 40 years.

" One of Rodinal's undoubted attributes is its incredible shelf life, with half-opened bottles reported to last over 40 years. The solution is light straw colored when first opened, and during the course of a year turns darker until eventually becoming deep purple-brown. Don't be fooled into throwing it out! Rodinal continues to perform perfectly regardless of the color of the solution, and is the ideal product to keep on your shelf if you often find your usual developer is exhausted."

There are several developers that will continue to function fine even when the solution looks dead, however it is always a gamble.

Sacrificing a few frames of course the way to check but for the sake of a few quid and to avoid the risk that the rest of the bottle contents aren’t forced to maintain their efficiency depending on how long it takes for the op to use them up, obtaining fresh has to be the most sensible way forward.

‘Rodinal comes in different variants from what I understand......perhaps some can stay efficient whilst others deteriorate more rapidly.

Thanks for the info... If I resume a little film work, I'll start with a new batch of chemicals then I can try the Rodinal later as an experiment.
Asha may be disappointed to learn that I will be using some Ilford HP5 that's been in my freezer for more than 12yrs.

that I will be using some Ilford HP5 that's been in my freezer for more than 12yrs.

12 years in a freezer is nothing for B\W... the last time I used FP4 (a few years ago) and stored at room temp, had a date in the 90s

Asha may be disappointed to learn that I will be using some Ilford HP5 that's been in my freezer for more than 12yrs.
Not at all, OOD b&w neg film cold stored will hold up quite well, considerably more so than chemicals!

However, even then, if testing out a new camera, fresh everything is best to verify that any problems that arise are due to the kit and not the consumables.

Not at all, OOD b&w neg film cold stored will hold up quite well, considerably more so than chemicals!

However, even then, if testing out a new camera, fresh everything is best to verify that any problems that arise are due to the kit and not the consumables.

You are absolutely correct. I have many times tried a new to me (vintage camera) with a film that I hadn't tried before, sometimes in chemistry new to me and in dev equipment new to me. My success rate wasn't enviable. My experience tasted like variable soup!

Back