Old FD mount Prime lenses - Still any good ?

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I'm looking at getting a longer lens, unfortunately I can't afford to rush out and buy a canon 100-400mm or similar (at least not just yet :) ) so i've considered opting for an older prime lens

As a result I'm looking at the possibility of getting an older FD mount lens and using the FD - EF adapter I already have for my macro lens. I find that this Adapter, at least for the little macro I've "Played" with works fine (it has no Glass element)

I've got my eye on a Sigma 400mm F5.6 FD mount lens as a stop gap solution until such time I can afford one of the current models.

My questions are:

1) Was the Sigma 400mm FD mount lens any good in the first place? The reviews I've read dating back to aroung 1998 all seem positive.

2) I know i will not benefit from AF etc using the adapter (not an issue as the lend is not auto either :LOL: ) but are there any other issues that would signify this as a bad move ?

I'm looking for more reach for not too much money and thought this could be a solution. It will be for birds and wildlife at local nature reserves where I find my 75-300mm to be a bit soft.

Thanks in advance.

I was under the impression that due to the way FD lenses are constructed it is not possible to adapt them to an EF fitment without using aditional glass, something to do with the distance bettween the rear element and the sensor?

When I was considering something similar I was looking at getting an adaptall type lens and the general consensus was that all the 400mm f5.6 lenses were much of a muchness.

I was under the impression that due to the way FD lenses are constructed it is not possible to adapt them to an EF fitment without using aditional glass, something to do with the distance bettween the rear element and the sensor?

I don't know, all I do know is that I've seen both types and have one with out he glass element that appears to work fine with a Vivitar 100mm Macro FD Mount lens.

I believe someone on here reccomended the Non-glass element, as the prefered option :( but couldnt say for certain.

If you mount an FD lens onto an EF camera using an adapter that doesn't have any glass in it, then you won't be able to focus at infinity. Not an issue for macro, but perhaps more relevant for whatever you want to shoot with a 400. To retain infinity focus you need an adapter with optical elements. The Canon ones are rare and very very expensive.

Thanks Stewart, this makes sense, and clears up one mystery. Thanks! :D

slight correction it was the old 400mm f6.3 lenses I was looking at, it's been a while!

I think while FD may be out there are other mounts that will adapt just fine
Nikon is one of them...

Back