Old films cameras - ebay or bin?

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all

My missus spotted someone selling some old Canon EOS cameras today with an assortment of lenses and went and bought them cos she assumed the lenses would work with her EOS DSLR. (The lenses turned out to be Sigma ones so aren't fully compatible. They fit the Canon mount and AF works but if you try to change the aperture setting and take a picture it gives an error but a couple will be usable in certain circumstances.)

Anyway, the two cameras are a Canon EOS 5 and a Canon EOS 50f. I've tried a battery pack in them and they both power up and fire the flash.

My question is, are these cameras any good? I'm only familair with the EOS DSLR cameras and it's a many years since I used film.

Is it worth me putting them up on ebay in the hopes that someone might want them or are they simply landfill material?

Thanks for any advice offered.

I don't know the 50f but the EOS 5 is a great camera, I've seen a few on ebay so it's definitely worth the effort if you don't want to use it. I think they go for about £40/50?

I still use one occasionally along with an EOS 3.

I think that's my first post :)

Use them!

I think my film processing days are long behind me. :) I used to process thousands of feet of film a day, 105, 35 and 16mm when I worked in the microfilm business and we used to use the darkroom facilities and kit to process our own films but it's been age.

Hopefully someone will be able to make use of at least one of them. They seem well made cameras.

Depending on how old the lenses are and if they are in good condition
check with Sigma and see if they can be chipped to work with your camera it's
got to be worth checking if they can chip them and the price it will cost

Thank you for the welcome, I'll probably be hanging around Film and Conventional a lot :)

It's a bit like Hotel California in here, you can check out any time you like but you can never leave ;)

Apart from the pro level film bodies the rest of the Canon EOS range isn't worth much, the EOS 5 is a decent camera but it's only £40-50, the more expensive options are the EOS 1, 1n or 3 and maybe a 30V.
Not really worth selling, you can adapt a variety of manual focus lenses to EOS bodies though, i was using M42, OM and Nikon F mount lenses on my EOS 5 before i got rid of it.

Apart from the pro level film bodies the rest of the Canon EOS range isn't worth much, the EOS 5 is a decent camera but it's only £40-50, the more expensive options are the EOS 1, 1n or 3 and maybe a 30V.
Not really worth selling, you can adapt a variety of manual focus lenses to EOS bodies though, i was using M42, OM and Nikon F mount lenses on my EOS 5 before i got rid of it.

I'll stick it up on ebay anyway with the 28-80mm and 70-210mm lenses that we didn't want. If it makes anywhere near 50 I'll be more than happy as she only paid a hundred for the camera bodies, 2x28-80, 30-80, 70-210 and a 70-300mm lens, flashes, filters and a really nice aluminium hard case.

Back