old flash

Name
Ruth
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a canon 350d and looking through my grandfather's old camera gear today i found a vivitar 252 flash, its probely about 20-40 years old. Does any one know how or even if it's possible to make it work with my 350d??

Becareful the voltage may be too high and fry your camera. I had the same offer my dads old vivitar flash but when I looked into it the only way to safely use it was to buy something called a safe sync for the hotshoe, these cost around £50. I've given the flash back and am saving up for a speedlight instead. The flash may appear to work but the frying process may be slow and cumalative.
Hope that helps
Nix

There's a list here http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html of various flash guns and their voltages which should tell you if the vivitar is compatible, though as I post the site seems to be down, I hope not permanently as it's a useful resource.

Steep - that site is still down but will keep checking over next few days.

Nixtoo - not sure on the voltage but it has a hot shoe connection and a lead, my camera doesn't have a hole for the lead, the flash is very old so at the moment it doesn't work at all . The flash fires if you hold down the button so that works.

John-oh not sure that it would be compatible with the equipment needed to do that but its a good idea and i will look into it if i cant get it to work on the camera.

i might give vivitar a call after the bank holiday.

I think you'll find the trigger voltage is going to be too high.

I'd not risk damage to the camera if it were mine. I once had a sunpak flash that was very close to the limits and I never really felt comfortable using it.

Also, you'll only have manual control of the flash. E-TTL won't work on it.

:agree:

I wouldn't use this flash on a digital camera.

The trigger voltage could be hundreds of volts, enough to fry your cameras circuits.

:nono:

Back