Old Lady in Phnom Penh - two versions

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
29632370553_f5ed822e66_b.jpg

29632370253_748060bc17_b.jpg

Taken with Fuji X100 and processed in LR5 + CS3

Finely detailed image, has to be the black and white for me.(y)

Fab. Sorry to disagree Steve but it is colour all the way for me. Biased though as I don't do black and white as a rule.

Gaz

Ah two great edits of a fantastic image. Can't decide which I prefer and I've been staring at them both for a good twenty minutes.
Sorry not much help.

this old person of the sea black to white processing can get a bit boring
i prefer the humanity of the colour shot which shows a person
the second is an object treated in a certain way photographically
cheers
geof

Hi Ian - Lovely shots

I am not being picky - but I would have preferred the lady over to the right with space to the left - I can see why you did not - but the space on the left looks a bit "lost" and I think the 12 can distract - or maybe attract!!!:)

evens - stevens for me - with the colour by a "head"

Hi Ian - Lovely shots

I am not being picky - but I would have preferred the lady over to the right with space to the left - I can see why you did not - but the space on the left looks a bit "lost" and I think the 12 can distract - or maybe attract!!!:)

evens - stevens for me - with the colour by a "head"

Problem was someone was standing right next to her on the left, sometimes you just have to go with what you've got before you. Cheers

this old person of the sea black to white processing can get a bit boring
i prefer the humanity of the colour shot which shows a person
the second is an object treated in a certain way photographically
cheers
geof

If the shot had been taken on BW film would that then have been OK. I understand what your saying but BW for me focuses on the person, it may not be real but then what 2 dimensional image is.

Problem was someone was standing right next to her on the left, sometimes you just have to go with what you've got before you. Cheers

If the shot had been taken on BW film would that then have been OK. I understand what your saying but BW for me focuses on the person, it may not be real but then what 2 dimensional image is.

you showed colour so there was some comparison
and in black to white...does the film do the post processing ...i have done some work with 35mm bw...never got a film to do those life lines
cheers
geof

Colour for me.
I don't like to be negative, really i don't, but i would get rid of the bright spots (of what I guess is sunlight), just above each shoulder.
But it's your photo, you may not be too bothered about them :)

you showed colour so there was some comparison
and in black to white...does the film do the post processing ...i have done some work with 35mm bw...never got a film to do those life lines
cheers
geof

No the photographer always does the processing, digital or analogue. I shot BW film for 30+ years and shots like this are, without a doubt, possible IMO the work done in the darkroom not PS.

Colour for me.
I don't like to be negative, really i don't, but i would get rid of the bright spots (of what I guess is sunlight), just above each shoulder.
But it's your photo, you may not be too bothered about them :)

That's not negative, a good observation, they don't bother me to much but could easily be removed, I tend not to remove things. ;)

No need for a rush decision I am just happy you like them. ;)

Thanks having spent more time looking at the both (so much my wife is beginning to suspect foul play) I think for this crop the colour is better. If it was a closer crop of the face I think your monochrome conversion would be perfect for it.

No the photographer always does the processing, digital or analogue. I shot BW film for 30+ years and shots like this are, without a doubt, possible IMO the work done in the darkroom not PS.
agreed and thanks
i started b>w in 1963 own developing of course and film loading so i guess we trod the same route..switched to colour trannies in 1984 35mm and 6x7 via a fuji 67 finally in 2006 i got an olympus compact for a bit then onto a dslr...the present one the lumix G1

what i will concede is that...just like the print competitions in the camera club..a big un is better than a small un!!
so reflecting on the type of work you do...and i guess mostly hand held will make some upgrading on the to do list...i really admire the presentation of those larger sensor models
it shouldnt be a question but...what model are you using and where should i go from where i am now...
i did enjoy superior images from the fuji 370 rf but that was film
a non dslr would be ok so long as it had a good sensor and a rangefinder of sorts and an evf..and ability to take faster iso's and RAW

appreciate your posts

cheers
geof

Last edited:
agreed and thanks
i started b>w in 1963 own developing of course and film loading so i guess we trod the same route..switched to colour trannies in 1984 35mm and 6x7 via a fuji 67 finally in 2006 i got an olympus compact for a bit then onto a dslr...the present one the lumix G1

what i will concede is that...just like the print competitions in the camera club..a big un is better than a small un!!
so reflecting on the type of work you do...and i guess mostly hand held will make some upgrading on the to do list...i really admire the presentation of those larger sensor models
it shouldnt be a question but...what model are you using and where should i go from where i am now...
i did enjoy superior images from the fuji 370 rf but that was film
a non dslr would be ok so long as it had a good sensor and a rangefinder of sorts and an evf..and ability to take faster iso's and RAW

appreciate your posts

cheers
geof

I am using mainly Fuji X100 and X Pro1 but still also using Canon 1D MkIV, all three have have excellent sensors. IMO most cameras now are pretty damn good.
I have been seriously considering picking up an old Mamiya RBs as they are a great price from Japan but developing here in Cambodia would be a problem as no shop does it any longer and getting the chemical and gear to do it myself I just can't see me going down that route.
I really like the Fuji X Pro1 and their lenses are second to none, lightweight easy to carry (comes in when you get past 60). The Lumix is a good little camera for everyday use. Have a look at the Fuji's, not cheap but quality never is.

I am using mainly Fuji X100 and X Pro1 but still also using Canon 1D MkIV, all three have have excellent sensors. IMO most cameras now are pretty damn good.
I have been seriously considering picking up an old Mamiya RBs as they are a great price from Japan but developing here in Cambodia would be a problem as no shop does it any longer and getting the chemical and gear to do it myself I just can't see me going down that route.
I really like the Fuji X Pro1 and their lenses are second to none, lightweight easy to carry (comes in when you get past 60). The Lumix is a good little camera for everyday use. Have a look at the Fuji's, not cheap but quality never is.

when i got the fuji 67 i was blown away by the tranny results...fuji pro 100 lab processed
regarding the rb67 my friend uses them in his studio and so do the police i understand because of the rotating back...
i will follow up the line on the fuji models you suggested
as a reminiscence i recall my first 35mm camera...an agfa karat with a cassette you loaded by pushing the film into the cassette...in the dark..the film travelled

when i got the fuji 67 i was blown away by the tranny results...fuji pro 100 lab processed
regarding the rb67 my friend uses them in his studio and so do the police i understand because of the rotating back...
i will follow up the line on the fuji models you suggested
as a reminiscence i recall my first 35mm camera...an agfa karat with a cassette you loaded by pushing the film into the cassette...in the dark..the film travelled

I used Mamiya RB 67s years ago, great, in fact superb quality. Would love one again but dont think it will happen I have become a little lazy with digital.
Sadly all the labs have disappeared here and to get decent work done you have to take it (poor postal services) to Bangkok, which makes the prospect expensive when your on a fixed income that has be screwed by the drop in the pound against the US dollars.
The X Pro1's are really quite cheap used now, but the lenses hold their price well.

Interesting what you said about Camera Clubs, I was never a big fan and only ever went to my local club twice. I like the break/challenge the rules too much and came in for some flack from the older memebrs ( strange I'm an older member now or would be if I was a member of a club.

Last edited:
I used Mamiya RB 67s years ago, great, in fact superb quality. Would love one again but dont think it will happen I have become a little lazy with digital.
Sadly all the labs have disappeared here and to get decent work done you have to take it (poor postal services) to Bangkok, which makes the prospect expensive when your on a fixed income that has be screwed by the drop in the pound against the US dollars.
The X Pro1's are really quite cheap used now, but the lenses hold their price well.

Interesting what you said about Camera Clubs, I was never a big fan and only ever went to my local club twice. I like the break/challenge the rules too much and came in for some flack from the older memebrs ( strange I'm an older member now or would be if I was a member of a club.

:D..thats why you got me on your tail...i took so much flak i feel i have to give it back....rules are not rules...but guidance and to be used with discernment and wisdom
the viewer has the last word...but then that is only one person...;)
i broke the rules by taking and winning prizes with out of focus shots a'la impressionist painters
also i won so many prizes with dreamy imagery the old lads in sulkiness said i was designing wallpaper...the kind you put on the wall
it was fun but it has left me with some good guidelines which i adhere to in my photography..in composition mainly
hence my motto CC crop and clone!!
so get those fuzzy bits out of the top lh corners of your shots...:D

cheers
geof

I am a great fan of B/W (and have been since I made my first print in 1964) but on this occasion I feel the colour shot is better because the there is not much tonal separation between the dress and the wall in the BW version.

Rob

I am a great fan of B/W (and have been since I made my first print in 1964) but on this occasion I feel the colour shot is better because the there is not much tonal separation between the dress and the wall in the BW version.

Rob

I respect your opinion but disagree with your conclusion about the tonal separation. ;)

Back