old sigma 70-200 2.8

Name
peter
Edit My Images
Yes
ok i am on a tight budget for the time being due to upcoming holidays and events etc.
i have a wanting fo a 70-200 but for the next 6-9 months my funds just wont allow :(
i have opportunity to get my hands on a old sigma 70-200 2.8 hsm no OS and no Macro version.
i can get it for what i think is a very good price and i can actually spare that at the moment.
is it worth getting as a stop gap lens so to speak as i have nothing mid range at the moment and limited funds.
my present range i have covered is only 17-50 and 150-600.
will be going on my D7200

Last edited:
If it’s just a stop gap how about the budget 70-300? Mean to be pretty decent! Or the FX 70-300 VR?

Try before you buy to make sure it works with your camera. In days gone by they were reverse engineered, so may not work with a body that came after they were made and they can't be brought up to date by reprogramming or re chipping.

If it’s just a stop gap how about the budget 70-300? Mean to be pretty decent! Or the FX 70-300 VR?

i have had the 70-300 vr before was a good lens but i personally found it a bit slow + i would prefer a fixed aperture.
i know on the cheap 70-200 it will not be sharp wide open but stepped down is meant to perform well.
i was more hoping someone on here who has actually had one could comment with a little more detail on the lens if it's of any use .

Last edited:
Try before you buy to make sure it works with your camera. In days gone by they were reverse engineered, so may not work with a body that came after they were made and they can't be brought up to date by reprogramming or re chipping.

I'd agree with this , I'd also add that some of the older 70-200mm non hsm non os versions were every bit as sharp as the newer ones .
If it's in your budget and at a really good price, why not. When funds allow, you can upgrade and probably make back what you spent on it, by selling it on.
Just my tuppence worth

Sorry for the late reply, I saw this thread a few days ago but was struggling to get photographs into it on my phone.

Is it this one you're on about?
3 Favourites by andyroberts1868, on Flickr

If so, I have one and find it okay, it's not the sharpest lens in the world but perfectly acceptable at 2.8 at the short to medium range. Beyond that it starts to get a little soft in my experience, whether that's down to my technique or not is obviously up for discussion :LOL: Stop it down a little and it gets pretty sharp, AF is fairly quick but not rapid, but also internal AF and Zoom which is nice (and typical of a lens of this range etc) If the price is right you'll probably be okay, and could always shift it on again. Mine doesn't look 100% externally (as the photograph shows) thanks to the flocked effect Sigma used to put on their lenses but the optics are crystal clear. I have some photographs on my Flickr but annoyingly I've stripped the exif out for some reason, so can't give specifics. I'll see if I can find the specifics tonight if that as beneficial, these shots were definitely using this lens though on a D700

Engagement by andyroberts1868, on Flickr

Me by andyroberts1868, on Flickr

Trumpet Player in Chester, England by andyroberts1868, on Flickr

Jaguar E Type Convertible by andyroberts1868, on Flickr

Last edited:
Also, if you don't mind me asking, what price is it? Don't answer that if you won't want to though!

Whereabouts are you from? You're more than welcome for a go of mine too if you're in the North West.

On the compatibility front too, mine works on the D750, a little older than the D7200 so hopefully you should be okay

Last edited:
thank you for all the replies.
I am afraid I maybe wasted all your times replying now for which I apologise.
my other pastime is shooting Air Rifle comps and i came to the decision to sell one of my setups.
as such I have just bought myself a Brand new D500 from Panomaz and will in the next couple of weeks intend to maybe purchase a 2nd hand newer Sigma 70-200 2.8 with OS.

p.s. for any future reference i am based near Scarborough and do like to pop to Bempton Cliffs etc :)

Last edited:
thank you for all the replies.
I am afraid I maybe wasted all your times replying now for which I apologise.
my other pastime is shooting Air Rifle comps and i came to the decision to sell one of my setups.
as such I have just bought myself a Brand new D500 from Panomaz and will in the next couple of weeks intend to maybe purchase a 2nd hand newer Sigma 70-200 2.8 with OS.

p.s. for any future reference i am based near Scarborough and do like to pop to Bempton Cliffs etc :)

Don’t discount a used Nikon 70-200 vr. Great on a crop body. Super fast af. Fab lens.
Probably get one for decent price.
Really miss the one I had...(financial event)...grrr

my brother has the sigma 70-200 os model and having borrowed it off him a couple of times for zoo trips and a couple of weddings i have shot i found it to be ok, its quite a useable lens albeit a little slow to focus in darker situations. I did however try the tamron 70-200 g2 last year at digital splash and that really impressed me, super fast and sharper than the sigma too. That said there is an announcement expected at photokina from sigma that they will be launching a new version of their 70-200 and if that follows in the same vein as their art lenses have gone the last few years then it will be exceptional

That said there is an announcement expected at photokina from sigma that they will be launching a new version of their 70-200 and if that follows in the same vein as their art lenses have gone the last few years then it will be exceptional
That depends if it follows the vein of the Sigma primes or the zoom art lenses. The 24-70 f/2.8 was a bit meh!

That “announcement” though has been expected for about a year if not more.

Back