Old Sparrowhawk

Name
Rich
Edit My Images
Yes
But with a new edit, taken a while ago whilst sat in the garden. I had the 70-200 plus 1.4TC on at the time but was unfortunate to be so close I could not zoom back anymore, how often do you complain about that then :LOL:

IMG_5643 by Richard Venn, on Flickr

Last edited:
Very good capture -the upside of being so close is you got a great bokeh

Cracking shot, as to be expected from you (y)

it was off as fast and as quiet as it had turned up :LOL:
I meant to ask the other week, are these particularly quiet, as I think one swooped in on the feeders a couple of times?

Nicely done Rich, cracking eye detail and a fantastic looking bird (y)

Good portrait image with sharp detail in the bird captured and set against a nice background tone.
Maybe the bird would benefit from a slight boost in curves to highlights/shadows, as it looks just a little flat on my screen. I have just tried it in PS and it improves further a really nice shot.
:clap:

Fantastic eye detail Rich (y) (what was your re-edit for?)

Russ
Bored out of my head really Russ :LOL:
Cracking shot, as to be expected from you (y)

I meant to ask the other week, are these particularly quiet, as I think one swooped in on the feeders a couple of times?
Well most birds are pretty quiet but these must have built in stealth mode :D This particular bird has flown past my face at about 2ft away as I was walking up the top set of steps out of the garden, frightened the living daylight out of me, no sound but just felt the rush of air, and that funnily enough is just as much of a memorable experience than getting a picture of it.
Nicely done Rich, cracking eye detail and a fantastic looking bird (y)
Cheers Neil
Good portrait image with sharp detail in the bird captured and set against a nice background tone.
Maybe the bird would benefit from a slight boost in curves to highlights/shadows, as it looks just a little flat on my screen. I have just tried it in PS and it improves further a really nice shot.

Thanks Derek (y) feel free to post an edit up. It at least gives myself and others the opportunity to discuss it,it is what this forum should be about as much as anything else imho.
Regards
Rich

that's a very beady eye!

you are so lucky to get them in your garden :)
x

Not too bad.

Bird images don't come sharper than that. This is a simply stunning shot - and I don't use phrases like that lightly. Green eyes here I can tell you!

Hi Rich,it's been a long time since I had a PM regarding my Processing from yourself(with advice on my PP) Just thought I would have a go and bite the bullet and have a go at editing you pic,hope you don't mind and I know you will be first to to tell me if I have overdone it
Rich (edit) by den9112, on Flickr

Last edited:

OK Rich here is my mod version of your image.
Using curves in PS I adjusted highlights/shadows and increased exposure mid-tones. I then run the image through Neat Image to reduce any noise, then finally added a small amount of extra sharpening in PS.
Photography is very subjective, what some like, others don't.
Hope you like this?
aaaaaa.jpg

Last edited:
Cheers guy`s for the edits(y) Den I have never had a problem with people doing edits, it is something that people seem to stay clear of for some reason:shrug: If the option is there then I say use it to try and put your point across, much easier than trying to just explain it in words. To my eye I would say Dens edit was a little too bright as most of the small areas in shadow have been lost, under the bottom of the wings for example. Derek yours looks good and I might have gone for something between my original and yours looking at it in more detail now, perhaps just a little too much contrast. As you say it is all selective.
Regards
Rich

Its a great capture of a wonderful specimen.
As for the title Old Sparrow hawk should have followed it with (old photographer). LoL

Keep posting the great images Rich I enjoy viewing them.
Paul.

Stunning shot Richard! And well edit Derek. Congratulations on both of you.

Great shot Rich, looks like you could learn something form those edits :exit:

Nice shot of a cracking male sprawk.

I had exactly the same problem as you but I could only get the birds head in.
Not complaining though.

Back