Old Vivitar 2500 flash - how to use off camera

User.82148

Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
Yes
I recently found my Vivitar flash. It has the old style one pin camera connection and I understand the voltage is not compatible with modern cameras. Can it be used as an off camera flash and if so how?

Depends on the vivitar's trigger voltage and what the specific camera can handle. For example I think most recent Sony DSLRs and SLTs can handle at least 300V -- should be specified in the detailed specs section of your camera manual. The flash trigger voltage is easily measured if you can't find a spec. Power up the flash and put a voltmeter across the trigger contacts.

The voltage is too high for Canons so I would only try it off camera. I'll give it a go using Phil's dumb trigger advice.

Any of the cheap radio triggers should work, lots of single contact dumb triggers on the bay for little money. PT-04, or similar.

Any of the cheap radio triggers should work, lots of single contact dumb triggers on the bay for little money. PT-04, or similar.

Probably the cheapest option, I use the PT-04's with a Vivitar 2700 no problem. The YN603's are also supposed to be ok with the higher voltages, though not tried them myself. The YN602's are definately NOT suitable.

Back