Old wooden boat on the banks of the foggy Dordogne.

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
No
Another photo from our recent trip to the Lot & Dordogne in France.

I'm still undecided if I prefer the colour, or the black and white, so I've posted both as a get out.

Re-edited colour version

Last edited:
Unusually for me I prefer the colour version :)

Stunning part of France isn't it ? Mind you there are so many stunning parts of France !

Colour for me, the pale green leaves look a bit out of place in the B&W

Thanks Justin and Chris.
My wife thinks that the colour version has a bit more depth and feeling to it.

It really is a beautiful part of France, lots to see. Although, after 6 or 7 years of staying in the same place, I'm wanting something new to see (please don't tell the Mrs).

Deffo colour for me.

It's got to be the colour one for me.

Thanks Justin and Chris.
My wife thinks that the colour version has a bit more depth and feeling to it.

It really is a beautiful part of France, lots to see. Although, after 6 or 7 years of staying in the same place, I'm wanting something new to see (please don't tell the Mrs).

Have you been to Languedoc ?

Its a nice drive from the Dordogne taking ini the Millau Viaduct to the Languedoc :)

Thanks very much everyone, it's great to get some feedback. (y)

Have you been to Languedoc ?

Its a nice drive from the Dordogne taking ini the Millau Viaduct to the Languedoc :)

Actually, after many years of wanting to, we did visit the Millau Viaduct ( just by car and not on the bike as we thought we once would). We stopped off at Roquefort too, but there wasn't an awful lot to see there.

Re my photo edits for these images, I used the Orton technique to fluff up the greenery a bit ( rather than leaving it looking rather flat ), but I wonder if there's some other type of edit that I should have considered? I have very limited PS skills and I'm always willing to try something new.

Hi Andy, I still prefer the black and white version! As I said in the other thread, maybe this is because I saw the black and white version first, so the colour version appears like "colourised" b&w to me! It could also be because I've been shooting black and white film all year (apart from two just recently).

A reasonable question for a film photographer to ask of a potential image is: "does it need to be in colour?". I realise this question is a bit redundant for digerati as you get it in colour whether you like it or not (unless you choose to shoot b&w JPEG with no Raw, which AFAIK few do). But I think it's good to think about that before pressing the shutter, rather than later when sitting in front of the screen. Not to say I haven't done the second thing, though!

Mind you, there are two more questions I should be asking: "does it need to be in black and white?" and, if the answer to both those is no, "does it need to be shot at all?". I'm not yet sure whether there are interesting images where the answers are no, no and yes!

Back