Old WWII Kodachrome slides

Fantastic! Thanks for posting. They look *too* good to be real, almost. Photos from back in the stone age should be all grainy and scratched. I wonder if these have been tidied up a bit, or just kept very carefully?

Stunning shots, makes you think ... do we need the D4 or D800 :thinking:

Fantastic! Thanks for posting. They look *too* good to be real, almost. Photos from back in the stone age should be all grainy and scratched. I wonder if these have been tidied up a bit, or just kept very carefully?

Used Kodachrome extensively in my film days. It was always known for producing high quality, sharp images providing the exposure was spot on. It was never grainy.

Wikipedia has the history of it and it is interesting to note that a 35mm transparency contains the equivalent of about 20 MP of data.

Enjoyed looking at the pics. Thanks to the OP.

These weren't from the stone age though. When these were taken, colour photography had around 100 years of development behind it.

Kodachrome has very fine grain, strong colours, and is very stable. The reason these look "too good to be true" is simply because photo's of this quality from this era are so few and far between.

4x5 negative at either ISO 25 or 64? Sir, I laugh at the very notion of there being any visible grain.

These weren't from the stone age though. When these were taken, colour photography had around 100 years of development behind it.

Kodachrome has very fine grain, strong colours, and is very stable. The reason these look "too good to be true" is simply because photo's of this quality from this era are so few and far between.

4x5 negative at either ISO 25 or 64? Sir, I laugh at the very notion of there being any visible grain.

There was good reason why National Geographic magazine used to insist that colour shots presented for publication were Kodachrome.

Thanks for posting the link. Excellent quality and interesting photos of a life gone by. They look like they could of been done this year and not around 70 years ago.

I love my D700. But I've got a 1937 voightlander bessa I'm going to get a roll of film for. Feeling inspired..

Always loved the colour/tones/feel of 5x4 kodachrome.

Back