older FF v newer Crop

You don't need to be adventurous to shoot MF film, I reckon you could easily buy a system and shoot a fair number of rolls for the same amount you've probably lost in buying and selling one of those digital cameras. The idea behind trying MF is that it's something different to spark your imagination. Simply buying yet another digital camera, which will all deliver excellent results regardless of the make/model, won't do that.

If you take a look in the Film & Conventional section you will get some great ideas and advice. Personally, I'd suggest picking up something like a Yashica TLR and a couple of rolls of Portra 400 for less than £100. By the time you've shot the rolls and got them developed/scanned from FilmDev.co.uk (£5 each) you'll know if it's something you want to do more of.

I shoot digital alongside film and wouldn't be without it but, realistically, one modern digital camera system can deliver equally good results as anything else in the conditions you're talking about.

I have to say that my Rolleicord is one of my favourite cameras. Love using it and when I get it right, the images can blow me away, even though its fully manual and some 60 years old. If anything I find it easier to load film than say my zorki and the only downside is that you only get 12 shots on a roll. Obviously the rollei is a different style of shooting to say a Leica or Nikon FE but aside from the obvious its exactly the same, so would definitely second a TLR of some kind.

I shot with a D800E for 4 years, fancied a change so switched to a Fuji XT-1, and tbh, haven't felt like I am missing anything bar that wider FOV ... and much larger file sizes.

And a lovely big viewfinder. I love FF viewfinders.

If viewfinders are your thing try a D3, even nicer again ;)

The XT-1 VF is amazing, I'm not sure why anyone would need better tbh. If you can get a good pic from an EVF as good as it, you need to get to spec savers. I never got why photographers moan so much about VF anyway, when they go and process the bejaysis out of most of their images anyway :rolleyes::p

There is a canon 5d for £200 in my local shop, worth buying?

I used to look back at my 5D shots and get all nostalgic but I think it was mainly the rose tinted I was wearing. The cameras are dust bunny magnets, you're limited to a max ISO of 3200, there aren't many focus points and they're big fat lumps.

Get a Panasonic GX80 and either a 17 or 25mm f1.8 and use it at f1.8 to f4, there are some great deals on that camera.

Chris, if it'll help I could drop box you some 5D raws to play with.

Last edited:
I used to look back at my 5D shots and get all nostalgic but I think it was mainly the rose tinted I was wearing. The cameras are dust bunny magnets, you're limited to a max ISO of 3200, there aren't many focus points and they're big fat lumps.

I remember my D700 files being close to magic but if I actually compare my m43 files then actually the m43 files are easily as malleable in PP as the D700 ones and high ISO performance isn't much different either. The main difference I see is lack of noise at base ISO on the D700 which often shows up in blue skies on the m43 files.

I should probably have at comparing the EM1ii files to the D700 and D610 ones to see the differences (but I've got better things to do with my time...).

I remember my D700 files being close to magic but if I actually compare my m43 files then actually the m43 files are easily as malleable in PP as the D700 ones and high ISO performance isn't much different either. The main difference I see is lack of noise at base ISO on the D700 which often shows up in blue skies on the m43 files.

I should probably have at comparing the EM1ii files to the D700 and D610 ones to see the differences (but I've got better things to do with my time...).

Coming from Canon I never really had malleable files, boost the shadows and they were a mess. MFT you can boost and boost.

There is a canon 5d for £200 in my local shop, worth buying?
Probably, oops bit late.
I think you will enjoy it, but beware you may want a mark 3 or 4 :)
Matt

Last edited:
Back