Older Mac Mini for Capture One?

Name
Greg
Edit My Images
Yes
I was thinking about a monitor upgrade for my current PC ( i5 4690k, 16GB RAM, GTX 970). However there is also another route I was contemplating....

I have toyed with the idea of moving to Apple for a while ( I have an iPad and iPhone, and I used an iMac for several years in a previous job). My wife recently got a MacBook Air and using it had reminded me just how nice MacOs is to use. I also found out that I get 10% off Apple with my current employer with the Apple EPP!

Obviously any Apple purchase ( especially an iMac ) is a significant amount financially, and given the recent announcement about the move to ARM processors, I’d rather wait to see what happens with the iMac line in the next while rather than buy an intel based one now.

I do still want to make the move to the Apple ecosystem though and I was wondering if an older Mac Mini (something i5 with 8GB RAM) would be a suitable stop gap? These seem to be around £400. Storage won’t be an issue as I can mount my existing HDDs in an external enclosure.

I would primarily be using it for Capture One (Fuji) and Affinity Photo, along with a little iMovie ( just GoPro and phone footage) and some GarageBand.

I know that traditionally Apple products seem to run ‘better’ than equivalent Windows specced machines, so will something like I mentioned be enough to manage Capture One etc?

Of course I could manage with my current system until the ARM iMacs are announced but I’ve an itch to scratch and I’d love to make the move if I can.

Is anyone using an older Mac Mini ( or other Apple system)? Is this doable?

There's nothing wrong with doing what you want, but for Intel based Macs performance is the same as for Windows machines of equal spec. The new ARM chips may change that in the future, of course.

Back