OLED equipped cameras and low light shooting.

woof woof

I like a nice Chianti
Name
Alan
Edit My Images
No
I've recently been shooting in low light with a 5D and G1 and with the G1 I can manually focus in lower light than I can with the 5D as the EVF gain makes detail more visible. However, as the light level drops still further I find that the G1's EVF is a pain to use as it's very bright even when the brightness is turned down via the menu and it causes me eye strain and destroys night vision in my right eye.

Someone on another forum suggested that an OLED may be better than the G1's EVF so I looking for feedback from anyone who has used a Nex 7 (I believe it has an OLED VF) or failing that any other OLED equipped camera.

Of course, nothing is better than trying a camera yourself but my local store stocks little these days so any info and input will be appreciated before I head off into 't big city to find a dealer or buy on line.

You could try some gel ND filter in front of the EVF to drop the level down? No idea how easy it would be to fit though (sticky tape of some sort to make a fold down flap ?) but it's a no cost solution... If you aren't in a rush pm me address and I'll post you some.

Last edited:
Thanks for the idea and offer but I have some. Just never thought of doing that.

To try and get around the problem I tried setting the G1 to black and white but that didn't help as even in almost total darkness the dislay still kicks out so much light and when I placed my hand behind the EVF I was shocked to see the little bright square of light. That's obviously why it's so straining to use in very low light.

I think that for me the thing to do is to try and find a Nex 7 to try.

Back