Oly 35RC rangefinder. First roll.

wontolla

Misery Guts Monica
Name
I'm not a Misery Guts and Monica is not my Moniker
Edit My Images
Yes
First roll through my new (to me) Olympus 35RC rangefinder.
Must say I quite like it so far!
Bank of the Wharfe near Harewood.
OldChimney-1of1.jpg

George R postbox at East Keswick
GRpostbox-1of1.jpg

Harewood Bridge on A61 at.........Harewood!
Bridge-1of1.jpg

Butchers at East Keswick, best pork pies in the area!
Butchers-1of1.jpg

Emmerdale set (part of) in Harewood House Estate

Sharma-1of1.jpg

Had a great day at Harewood, saw plenty of Red Kites but all in the distance or very high! Oh well, just have to go back again I suppose!

Like these a lot, especially the post box! I'm always pointing my camera at walls, looking for patterns in the textures, but the postbox in the middle of this is great. I do also like the bridge. Clearly focusing on the RC isn't too much of a problem!

Like these a lot, especially the post box! I'm always pointing my camera at walls, looking for patterns in the textures, but the postbox in the middle of this is great. I do also like the bridge. Clearly focusing on the RC isn't too much of a problem!

Thanks Chris, appreciate the feedback.
Well, it does have an AE mode and it works very well, but tried manual overide mode too and very pleased with results. The double image rangefinder is a real help for manual focus.
Post boxes are a bit of a thing with me, sad I know!

Thanks Chris, appreciate the feedback.
Well, it does have an AE mode and it works very well, but tried manual overide mode too and very pleased with results. The double image rangefinder is a real help for manual focus.
Post boxes are a bit of a thing with me, sad I know!

I was thinking of an Oly RC but got a QL17 instead (better reviews on rangefinder forum). I like it except for the shutter release which is nasty stiff; need to press DOWN with finger tip rather than squeeze with the ball of the finger. :thumbsdown: <-- that's me pressing the shutter!

I was thinking of an Oly RC but got a QL17 instead (better reviews on rangefinder forum). I like it except for the shutter release which is nasty stiff; need to press DOWN with finger tip rather than squeeze with the ball of the finger. :thumbsdown: <-- that's me pressing the shutter!

(y) Thats me pressing the Oly shutter! Looked at the QL17 myself, but I am an olympus nut! Already had 2 canons. Just love the retro look of the series. I now have 3 Trips, (1 mk1 & 2 mkII) an EE a 35EC 35RC and hopefully a nice EE mk II soon!

Nice set Baz, looks like your getting on well with it, GR post boxes arent that common anymore,

Thanks Dave, I value your input.
You would be suprised at just how many GR boxes are around, my aim is to get a gold olympic box before they are re-painted.

You would be suprised at just how many GR boxes are around, my aim is to get a gold olympic box before they are re-painted.

Not sure how Lancs did, but that other place to your East is reported to have done rather well medal-wise, so maybe you'll have to pop across for a look! :nuts:

Thanks Dave, I value your input.

theres one in chorley across from the town hall wiggin posed at the side of it, I should have gone really as I thought of a fab shot wiggins with the post box, in the background a poster stretched across a gate with wiggins olympics on and :LOL: another sign "No Cycling Zone" sign No one got that shot, LOL I would have :D

theres one in eccleston and one in bolton as well

Last edited:
Have the RC too. Great little camera, also smaller and more compact than the Canon. Can I ask what battery are you using in your RC? I have got a Wein Cell Zinc Air and the exposures seem to match my external meter. Just wondered what you were using?

Have the RC too. Great little camera, also smaller and more compact than the Canon. Can I ask what battery are you using in your RC? I have got a Wein Cell Zinc Air and the exposures seem to match my external meter. Just wondered what you were using?

Yes, it is a great little camera, to be honest, it's the one I pick up most after my 40d.
I use Hello Batteries 625A/L1560 without problems in the RC and A640s in the EC.

I use px625a alkalines in mine just fine. They are about £2.50 for 6 on ebay

Nice looking set.

I am putting a film through my Olympus 35 SP at the moment.

Nice looking set.

I am putting a film through my Olympus 35 SP at the moment.

Thanks Alf, appreciate the comment.
I have an Olly 35 SP too, but it needs some attention as the shutter has stopped releasing. I have noticed these and the RC have rocketed in price on EBay recently! So it might be worthwhile getting a professional repair/service for it.

I also see you are involved with Scouts, did almost 25 years with Greater Manchester North, PAWS, as an ACSL, ADC Cubs, and a CSL. Really enjoyed my time in Scouting, but retired in 2008, couldnt keep up with the kids anymore!
Keep up the good work!

Baz
I bought my 35 sp down your way when visiting my daughter in Manchester. The 35-SP was only £99 at Real cameras. It seems to work fine but need to see the shots.

I am still enjoying my Scouting.:D

Baz
I bought my 35 sp down your way when visiting my daughter in Manchester. The 35-SP was only £99 at Real cameras. It seems to work fine but need to see the shots.

I am still enjoying my Scouting.:D

Where was that from Alf? Looking for a repair shop for one.
Just got a really nice Olly 35 ECR from FeeBay, thread HERE.

Good to here you are still enjoying it! I do miss it sometimes, but not the paperwork!

Where was that from Alf? Looking for a repair shop for one.

I got it from HERE they were great to deal cash only though. They have some great stuff in too.

My 35-sp can be seen HERE

Last edited:
I had a 35RC - bought in Hong Kong in the 70s - with the matching flash, and it was a lovely little camera. It was still working perfectly a couple of years ago, but I threw it out when I was on my way back from SA to the UK, because I thought I'd never use it again. Pity.

No point regretting it now. I could get another one, but I don't suppose I will, because I dislike owning more 'stuff' than I really need, other than books.

I got it from HERE they were great to deal cash only though. They have some great stuff in too.

My 35-sp can be seen HERE

Thanks Alf, just looked at the website, I must have walked past them several times and not noticed they were there!
Mind you, I'm usually with the Mrs so.................................!! :thumbsdown:

I'll go and have a look at your SP now! (y)

I had a 35RC - bought in Hong Kong in the 70s - with the matching flash, and it was a lovely little camera. It was still working perfectly a couple of years ago, but I threw it out when I was on my way back from SA to the UK, because I thought I'd never use it again. Pity.

No point regretting it now. I could get another one, but I don't suppose I will, because I dislike owning more 'stuff' than I really need, other than books.

Martyn, was it the P200 flash that came with the RC?
Fancy throwing it away! dont think I could ever do that!
I love owning things I dont need, but must admit, I do occasionaly have a 'clear out'

Martyn, was it the P200 flash that came with the RC?
Fancy throwing it away! dont think I could ever do that!
I love owning things I dont need, but must admit, I do occasionaly have a 'clear out'

I think it was the P200, and I bought it at the same time. Yes, throwing it away was probably a mistake.

I've got rid of a lot of stuff over the years but the only things I actually miss are the ones I had to sell when I needed the money. I suppose that's different, but there was a lovely Smith & Wesson M60 with a pinned barrel in .38 Special. I carried that gun for years - legally - but it had to go.

I think it was the P200, and I bought it at the same time. Yes, throwing it away was probably a mistake.

there was a lovely Smith & Wesson M60 with a pinned barrel in .38 Special. I carried that gun for years - legally - but it had to go.

Thanks for clearing that up!

Was that the 'Chiefs Special' ?

Thanks for clearing that up!

Was that the 'Chiefs Special' ?

Yip. The original (blued) Chiefs Special was the M36. Mine was the stainless steel version, the M60. The pinned barrels were dropped at some stage. There were a few other variants too, but I can't remember all the model designations now.

Thanks Alf, just looked at the website, I must have walked past them several times and not noticed they were there!
Mind you, I'm usually with the Mrs so.................................!! :thumbsdown:

Its a real sweet shop of old cameras I was shown a 6X17cm panoramic camera that took three shots to 120 roll among other things.

Yip. The original (blued) Chiefs Special was the M36. Mine was the stainless steel version, the M60. The pinned barrels were dropped at some stage. There were a few other variants too, but I can't remember all the model designations now.

It's a good looking gun alright!

An aquantance of mine was clearing out the family attic many moons ago and he got almost to the end, when he found a parcel wrapped in wax paper.
He took it downstairs with the the other stuff (mostly rubbish) and eventually opened up the package. Inside was an original (1917) mint US Colt .45 Automatic M1911 (Browning) with the diamond cutouts on the handle, complete with cleaning kit etc. He didn't know what it was at the time, or what it was worth. After a few months, he got worried about having it in the house and after asking around and taking advice, he gave it to a gun club. When he told me about it, after learning I had an interest in the subject, I did some research and discovered that it was the most sought after model of the type and worth thousands of dollars, if not pounds. He was slightly miffed!

Its a real sweet shop of old cameras I was shown a 6X17cm panoramic camera that took three shots to 120 roll among other things.

I'm looking forward to going now! Think Ill leave the Mrs at home!

It's a good looking gun alright!

An aquantance of mine was clearing out the family attic many moons ago and he got almost to the end, when he found a parcel wrapped in wax paper.
He took it downstairs with the the other stuff (mostly rubbish) and eventually opened up the package. Inside was an original (1917) mint US Colt .45 Automatic M1911 (Browning) with the diamond cutouts on the handle, complete with cleaning kit etc. He didn't know what it was at the time, or what it was worth. After a few months, he got worried about having it in the house and after asking around and taking advice, he gave it to a gun club. When he told me about it, after learning I had an interest in the subject, I did some research and discovered that it was the most sought after model of the type and worth thousands of dollars, if not pounds. He was slightly miffed!

Hmm, think I'd have more than a bit miffed!

WW1 1911s aren't very common, but they're not all that rare either. Mint ones are, and they're very valuable, particularly if they're unfired and all the parts are correct. A lot of the guns from this era don't have their original slides because the heat treatment was questionable, and they could crack at the stress points. I wonder what the gun's history was?

Hmm, think I'd have more than a bit miffed!

WW1 1911s aren't very common, but they're not all that rare either. Mint ones are, and they're very valuable, particularly if they're unfired and all the parts are correct. A lot of the guns from this era don't have their original slides because the heat treatment was questionable, and they could crack at the stress points. I wonder what the gun's history was?

Well like I said, he had no idea it was there, presumed it came from his grandfather, who was in ww1 as a medic. No history whatsoever I"m afraid. Must ask him if he had any photo's of it.

Back