Oly M43 with Lumix lens autocorrection?

Edit My Images
No
Hello,

I'm considering an Olympus m43 camera (maybe an e-pl3 or e-pm1) as I like their JPEG engine and in body IS (great for primes), but would like to know if things like barrel distortion and edge of the frame darkening are autocorrected when using Oly camera with Panasonic lenses. (JPEGs only, no correction is done to RAW as I understand)

I know that AF will work on all m43 cameras with all m43 lenses, but about the more "advanced" features?

Cheers:)

Last edited:
Oh, well not many Olympus users here it seems...

I've spent about half an hour searching different forums and still not sure if Lumix lenses have auto corrections on Oly bodies. Some say they do not- only AF and metering are supported; others say that barrel distortions ARE auto corrected but CA are not.

If anyone has a definite answer, I'd appreciate it :)

Ok, cheers, spent another half hour searching about this, and although I still have not found official statements from Oly/Panasonic on this issue, the majority say that Barrel Distortion is autocorrected regardless of lens-body mix, where as CA is not.

Because of this I am now rethinking of going with E-PL3/E-pm1 for use with Lumix 14mm prime (I'll be shooting architecture) and probably go with GF3 which allegedly has the best JPEG engine of all reasonably priced Panasonics.

If you want the best JPEG images you need to go Oly not Panny.

Don't know if this helps you, or not, seeing actual images.

As you mention architecture, this is the side of a town hall building, plenty of straight lines for you to make your mind up - taken with an E-PL3 and P20mm, I was knealing on the pavement taking this.

First is jpeg SOOC (not the best exposure which is why I processed the RAW), second is RAW processed in LR4, third is B&W in Nik SFXPro.

8562554362_6968b9de14_b.jpg

8220423255_f3fff6a104_b.jpg

8221506588_4fe3850555_b.jpg

If you want the best JPEG images you need to go Oly not Panny.
Yeah, I know that its the rule of the thumb, but GF3 jpegs dont seem to have that usual Panny tint, and look like slightly colder Oly jpegs. Anyway, that can of worms is not the point of the thread :)
Don't know if this helps you, or not, seeing actual images.

As you mention architecture, this is the side of a town hall building, plenty of straight lines for you to make your mind up - taken with an E-PL3 and P20mm, I was knealing on the pavement taking this.

First is jpeg SOOC (not the best exposure which is why I processed the RAW), second is RAW processed in LR4, third is B&W in Nik SFXPro.

Thanks for the pictures. I'll be almost certainly using the 14mm though as 20mm is just too narrow. Unfortunately 14mm has quite a bit more distortion and CA when compared to 20mm- according to reviews anyway.

Last edited:
Back