Olympic Bridge

Edit My Images
Yes
When i first went out with my tripod a few weeks back i managed to get a shot of Tower bridge with the Olympic sign up.
At the time i was really happy with it, being my first real night time shot i still am, but the more i look at it the less i like it and the more faults i can find with it.

Last night i was out again and gave it another go. This time i used my ND filter for the first time.
At the moment im happier with it i think? One reason being the Olympic sign was lit this time.
Its a little dark for my liking though and im not sure why it has come out so dark. The tide was out too, that was disappointing.

Anyway, here they are. Id love some feed back on these and tips on where ive gone wrong.

1st attempt

Tower Bridge by TS446Photo, on Flickr

2nd attempt

Olympic Tower Bridge by TS446Photo, on Flickr

Thanks for looking

I do like that first one, pity the rings werent lit up, yet they seem to be in the second, do you have a long exposure on the 2nd, its a little dark ?

The water and the surroundings in the first look a lot better, now it's all underexposed. The only bit worth taking from the second IMO is the fact that the rings are lit up. :shrug:

What sort of ND filter were you using? What were you trying to achieve with the ND filter?

The exposure time on the second is 4 times that of the 1st, even though the aperture was larger (F11 as opposed to F32).

I can only assume that the camera wasn't able to meter correctly with the filter on therefore giving you an under exposed shot. I tend to take a meter reading without the filter then stick the figures into an app on my phone to tell me what settings i need for the density of filter i'm using.

I don't think there is much wrong with the first shot apart from the lights on the rings. It's a bit like not having an interesting sky in an otherwise great landscape shot - you cannot control it!

I'd try superimposing the lit rings onto the first shot and see what it's like. You will have to adjust the perspective and scale to get it spot on.

Thanks for the comments.
It was an ND500, 8-9 stops? The exposure time would have been more than enough, surely?
Maybe it didn't meter correctly, it focused on something ok or it wouldn't have opened the shutter.
I did try and get if focussed without the filter on, that wasn't easy, and the result was far too dark.

What app is it your using, I remember seeing one before but can't find it now.

I thought the second has a cleaner, crisper, sharper look to it.

Yes i assumed the sharpness was effected by the f32, thats why i wanted to used the filter this time. Just wasnt expecting it to be as dark as it is. In fact it shouldnt be that dark at all.
Ill have a look at that app, cheers.

i really like the first and second images, had you thought of playing around with the opacity and putting the images together?

i really like the first and second images, had you thought of playing around with the opacity and putting the images together?

Thanks.
I wouldnt know where to begin in putting the two together.
I think the 3rd image (post 8) is pretty much it, its what i was after.

Ive played about a bit with the 2nd image, black and white and selective colour. I quite like them, it works well in black and white in my opinion.

3rd effort is much better. It looks like it needs rotating CCW slightly. I'd also try a tighter crop, taking some of the bottom river shore and buildings to the left. But generally its a great effort. I'd be happy with that one!

You may be right there Rich, now you have said it it may look a little off being straight.
Thanks again for the comments.

For anyone that may have wanted to see the B&W version i done, here it is.

B&W Olympic Tower Bridge by ts446, on Flickr

I also have one with just the olympic rings in colour.

Apparently they have now been replaced with the paralympic symbol.

I like No 1, even with the lights off ...it kinda makes you peer at it and then realise what it is.

No 2 - the shaken reflection is off putting.

No 3 is bang on - the only thing I would try is to crop the bottom right some as it doesn't add to the image. But heh, I'm picking holes now!!

Yep, the third one is great! All I would say is to give the image a little counter clockwise rotation to bring the right tower into the vertical! Very nice image! :clap:

Thanks.
It does need a little rotation, i will get round to that.
Id love to do something with the bottom right corner, but dont know what or how to.
I dont want to crop it out and loose the reflection. Could it be cloned? Anyone know if so and how to?

love the first shot.

Third shot is definitely my favourite of the set. Love that silky smooth water.

Back