Olympus 12-40 f2.8 Pro - dropped :-(

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
Bugger.
Im on the Isle of Harris & Lewis and on nearly my last day here with the Mrs I wanted to go into a church on the coast while she stayed in the car, she's not good on her feet, especially in this wind.
Of course I explored took some photos but I slipped coming down some steps inside, banged my elbow lower back and ass, nothing too bad other than my pride.
Anyway got my wind back and went outside for some outdoor shots only to find that my 12-40 hood obviously took the brunt of a hit too which I never realised at the time :-( It was completely at an angle to the lens and I managed to pull it straight but it wouldn't come off and the zoom wont zoom, ie it goes from 12 to about 13, Im fairly sure its the hood thats preventing it travelling :-( Also, managed to knock the plastic fantastic lens cap so the metal olympus disc came off but thats all thankfully.

Think I'll try to remove the hood when I get home, lens is focussing etc ok and pics fine but obviously needs sorting :-(

oops by Donnie Canning, on Flickr

Never good to see. Hope you enjoyed our island though and had some good weather :)

Well we've certainly had all 4 seasons, pretty much every day too! Tomorrows looking like the least windy so far lol, but it's our last full day before the ferry on Saturday.

As for the lens, it's only a lens, if I need another I'll contact Olympus for a quote but it was bought second hand for £370ish off here, I'll simply buy another second hand one if its not economically viable to repair.

yes, a lot of weather, and the ferry (eastwards) was cancelled most of yesterday.

Aye, frequent cancellations this week, in fact we were supposed to come over from skye last Saturday but was cancelled due to the high winds, luckily our hotel had accomodation for that night and gave us a master suite for the same rate as the normal room! Bonus. Today is the first day for a week that there is literally NO wind!!!

I got my 12-40 wed,put it on went in back and knocked my knee on arebounder stood on end the camera slipped from my grip,luckily i had wrist strap on or otherwise it would have ended on concrete floor.
I hope yours works out ok

My peak design strap saved my em1/12-40 back in June in Ireland when I slipped on some rocks near a shoreline and the whole setup went flying toward the water as I managed to stop myself from falling over, the strap cinched onto my wrist and did it's job, it payed for itself that day for sure!

A friend of mine tripped over the landing gear of a light aircraft and fell - in protecting his E-M5 and 12-40 he landed on his elbow.
He now has a substantial amount of metal in there and reduced mobility in the joint.
If I had to choose I'd sacrifice the camera and lens but we seldom get to make a measured decision.

Hope the pictures were worth the pain and good luck with the lens!

Well finally home and undid the 2 tiny screws from the bottom of the hood to see if that would allow it to be taken off without a dremel. I was hoping that removal of the hood would free up the barrel so it would then zoom, well, removing the screws did exactly this, unfortunately while it zooms, the manual adjustment ring has come away too and so have the small ball bearings within :(:(

Putting the lens on the camera it works at all zooms and still autofocuses but obviously its unusable as is.

Any suggestions on where to start getting olympus to quote a repair? Im thinking Luton cameras as I think they are an official dealer?

oops2 by Donnie Canning, on Flickr

Just looked at all of that and started through the process but then it says that I have to include my warranty card / reciept, neither of which i have due to it being a second hand lens :-(

I'd be surprised if that was needed for a repair, its not as if your trying to claim it broke! Maybe try giving them a call?

Having investigated the online repair portal more it appears if you don't have warranty etc then you can still send it and if you arent happy with the quote they will return it and may obviously charge for this, which is fair enough. So, given ive been on hold to their customer support centre for the best part of an hour! I think i will simply send it and see what happens.

Dont think I would invest nmoney on a repair , Rather put that towards a replacement lens

So, as an update, it's back, its fixed and it looks brand new!

Project 365 - 059/365: Repaired
So, day 36 was the picture of my dropped and damaged lens which had to go off to Olympus for an estimate and repair, took me a week to sort this out and the actual turnaround from sending to receiving was 2 weeks. And am I happy to have it back! It's like brand new!

059 - Repaired by Donnie Canning, on Flickr

So, as an update, it's back, its fixed and it looks brand new!

Project 365 - 059/365: Repaired
So, day 36 was the picture of my dropped and damaged lens which had to go off to Olympus for an estimate and repair, took me a week to sort this out and the actual turnaround from sending to receiving was 2 weeks. And am I happy to have it back! It's like brand new!

059 - Repaired by Donnie Canning, on Flickr

How much did that set you back?

Back