Olympus 75mm f1.8

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Guys,

Anyone use this with a em10 and if so how does it compare to say the fuji 56mm or the canon primes? I'm about to purchase this (well trying to find one) and i was just wondering if it's as highly rated in the real world as it is in the lens reviews sites.

I understand the body's sensor size will affect the quality but just wondered if the lens is as good as it's made out to be.

Regards

Scott

Yes it's amazing, but also wholly impractical. 150mm is a niche focal length.

I owned all the best m4/3 lenses, I'd recommend the 45mm over the 75mm. More practical, lighter, cheaper and negligible drop in IQ, imperceptable in real world usage.

Use the spare cash to invest in the 25mm 1.4 or the Nokton 25mm 0.95.

I'm you really want to shoot portraiture you'd be better served with a Pentax 67 + 105mm 2.4 or a Hassy + 80mm 2.8. Film won't be a burden for the amount of time you actually need that effect from a lens. Both of these blow modern 35mm out of the window.

Last edited:
I have the lens, bought it for a wedding, it was great at that (indoors shots of the breakfast and speeches), not used it since. I keep it though as it's a difficult look to replicate and I have dreams of using it with the 12-40 as a travel kit, but I always end up taking a 40-150 (either kit or pro, both are good). By the same token I've not used the 45mm since I got the 12-40.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies. I'm not looking to use this lens much indoors or as a conventional portrait lens just for capturing candids of my son from a distance. I had the 45 and it wasn't long enough and i had the canon 70-200 on a 50d and used it at a decent length quite a lot so thought the reach of this would just about suit me.

In which case it is a gorgeous lens, absolutely spank-tastic and as good as all of the review say :)

Will check to see if I have any sharable images tomorrow (but suspect they're all of the wedding, which I won't share).

Glad to hear it's as good as made out. Thanks for your input mate. I appreciate it.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies. I'm not looking to use this lens much indoors or as a conventional portrait lens just for capturing candids of my son from a distance. I had the 45 and it wasn't long enough and i had the canon 70-200 on a 50d and used it at a decent length quite a lot so thought the reach of this would just about suit me.

You've already seen that I'm selling one...

Frankly this lens isn't suited for off the cuff stuff and is inflexible, especially for indoor use. It works ok for close candid headshots but considered portraiture is its forte.

It's the only m4/3 lens I've used which can really produce fabulously blurry backgrounds.

There's no comparison with the 45mm f1.8. The 45 while sharp has a slightly soft diffuse character. The 75 is contrasty and very sharp. And much better made. Yet it does suffer from more than usual chromatic aberration, though that's fixable in LR.

I rarely wax lyrical about gear but it's a bit special. If you've got the itch for one then you'll end up satisfying it sooner or later whether its appropriate to your needs or not :)

..bet that didn't help one bit.. feel free to ask questions and I'll do my best to answer without putting my selling hat on..

Haha oh I'll be buying one for sure and before the 18 th of this month as it's for my next holiday. I used a canon 100mm f2 quite a bit and sometimes that wasn't even long enough for catching Evan outside. I guess I'll just have to get myself a tad closer but then he notices me and the expressions I'm after changes. I have a guy on av forums getting back to me about a black one then I'll have another look at your.

Oly 75 is definitely bit special. I use mine a lot - far more than the 40-150 which I foolishly bought to replace it :)

Back